Chapter five

"You can't be serious," Laila shouted smashing the volleyball onto the other side of the net.
"Dead serious," I replied to her as Beth, a girl on the other side of the net, returned Lailas' hit. The white ball came flying over the net straight for me. In one frustrated smacked the ball flew into the left top corner of the other teams court.
The sharp piercing sound of the whistle sung as I smiled in triumph. "Right that's it for today. See you girls on Monday for another practice," our coach Mrs More called over the bustling of chatter that had arroused.
"So you actually are going on a date with Jasper Collins," Laila said grabbing her pink water bottle from were it lay in her kit bag.
"Yeah. Knowing mom she's had this planned for years," I replied stuffing my towel into my bag. "Any way we are only going to Leo's party it's not like it's a big deal," I added flipping my phone around in my right hand.
"Grace, it's Jasper Collins you've got a thousand girls who would kill to be you," Laila said zipping her bag up. Apparently Jasper was the most sort after guy in the whole of Bay Brooke High School -I'd never heard of him.
"She's still into mysterious naked boy," Hailey chimed from behind me.
"So, let me get this right you met two handsome strangers and Hailey met none?," Laila said raising an eyebrow.
"Oi, the stars are never wrong. It was fate," Hailey said in response. "It was fate that Grace happened to met two handsome strangers what will defiantly have handsome friends," she smirked.
"You need to get out more. All this magic mom-bow-jum-bow is getting to your head," I said mocking her.
"It's not magic Grace, it's the universe," Hailey stated. "You wait,"
"Okay, well tell the universe to spin me some good luck," I laughed swinging my bag over my shoulder. With my empty left hand I picked up my water bottle and headed for the parking lot.
As I expected dad was waiting in his black Jaguar XF; third sport from the right, second row facing forward reading his newspaper. Dad worked like clockwork, he was the most predictable person that I knew.
Grasping the handle with the hand that currently help my phone I opened the door. I threw my bag in first then I popped down into the seat. Dad insisted on me getting driven everywhere, after all 'ladies never drive themselves.' He always insisted driving me to and from volleyball practice and either Milo or our drive Ben would drive me everywhere else.
"Hey," I said as he kissed my head.
"How was practice sweetheart?," he asked smiling at me with his blue eyes and glowing teeth.
"It was good. I learn more about this Jasper guy you and mom are setting me up with," I replied as the engine purred.
"Anything good?" He asked turning out of the school and onto the small road.
"Apparently he's the most eligible guy in Bay Brook,"  I said trying to sound like someone off a dating site commercial.
"And the final rose goes to...Miss Grace King," dad announced in his best The Bachelor impression making us both chuckle. "I need to pop into work quickly to pick up a file. I hope you don't mind. You can come in if you like,"
"Nope that's fine. Yeah sure, I wanna see how much it's changed since I was 12," I smiled at him. I rarely went to
Dads' work purely because it kinda scared the crap out of me. It looked like one of the building from a spy movie; inside and out. Everyone wore a expensive suit and always looked their best and spoke in the utmost manor. As a child it haunted me mainly because I hadn't got a clew what kind of 'business' they dealt with in there.
After driving for 20 minuets we reached the building. It stood tall and grand with smaller building surrounding it emphasising its size.
Pulling up in front of the entrance I hopped out of the car closing the door behind me.
"We'll just be 10, Dave," dad said to the valet that took his keys.
I gazed up into the blue sky at the glass covered building towering above. A small lump formed in my thought which I swallowed quickly; it was still intimidating.
Two men, dressed in the same suit as the valet, pulled open the two enormous glass door; leading us into the building. The floor was white marble and was so siney I could practically see my face in it. Striding down the long entrance way, past the reception who also wore a matching suite, we reached the elevator. The air inside the building was weird, it had a distinct smell of nothing.
Rapidly, we zoomed upwards passing floor after floor until we reached the top floor. There was only three large offices on the top floor: dads, Hayley's dads and the boss'. The three offices all consisted of glass walls and looked clean cut and professional. You could see into the offices from the outside but, from what I could remember, you could change the glass so they were like blackout windows; you could see out but people couldn't see in.
With a ping the metal doors of the elevator open facing the boss' office. To my surprise Mr Johnson was actually in his office. I hadn't seen him for years, he had turned up to a couple of events but he never stayed for long. He held an ora about him which was mysterious and intriguing yet terrifying. Fashioning a smart black suit and harsh features he made me feel rather out of place dressed in my pink and white team top and team black shorts. Mr Johnson sat back in his black leather chair facing us, someone else sat in the lower black chair in front of him and his glass desk.
"Who's that with the boss?" I asked dad as we turned into his office.
"That's his son," dad replied closing the door behind him. In shock I looked over into his office. The boy sitting in the chair and Mr Johnson did have the same brown coloured hair bar the fact the boys' was curly.
"I never knew he had a son," I replied flopping down into his chair.
"Neither did any of us. He just turned up last week. Something to do with his mom. No one really knows much about it," dad stated rummaging through his piles of paper scattered around the room. Mr Johnson never even mentioned a wife or a partner let alone a child. Saying that, he was the type of man who kept his business to himself and never shared it, you kind of had to guess. He liked to keep his reputation good and exactly as he wanted it. If his son was anything like him I'd be keeping my distance.