Chapter Five

The rest of the day was pretty average. I had social studies, then gym, then French, all of which I am awful at.

After French, Leo, Taryn and I went to find Avery. Taryn usually walked to and from school (she claimed buses "contributed to pollution"), but the rest of us were going to walk to the buses together.

We arrived at Avery's locker just as she closed it. She jumped at the sight of us.

"You guys scared me!" she squealed.

Taryn giggled, and Leo shrugged.

"Sorry," I said.

"No, no, it's fine!"

"Okay then."

We walked out the front door of the school.

"Alright, I go this way!" Taryn said. "Bye, guys!"

"Bye!" Avery, Leo and I replied in unison. She walked away.

The three of us set off towards the buses.

"You guys know that Ryan guy?" I asked.

"The one who got mad at Leo at lunch?" Avery asked.

"Yeah."

"What about him?" Leo questioned.

"In English class, there were like 10 empty seats, and he sat down right behind me."

"That's weird," remarked Avery.

"Maybe he was just planning on kicking your seat all class," Leo suggested.

"I guess that's probably the most likely explanation," I decided. "I dunno, I just thought it was odd." We reached the buses. Leo's bus was the closest.

"Bye, guys!" he said, climbing backwards into the bus. Avery and I waved.

"What bus do you take?" Avery asked.

"204," I answered.

"Really? Me too!"

"Oh, wow, that's funny! Well, now I have someone to sit with."

We got on the bus and sat down together.

"Hey, what's your phone number?" I asked. Avery told me, and she gave me Taryn's phone number too,

"Make a group chat with Leo in it when you get home," she instructed.

"Okay."

We chatted for a while. Eventually, the bus reached my stop.

"See you tomorrow," I said, sliding out of my seat.

"Bye!"

I walked down the street to my house. The door was locked, which surprised me, since I hadn't locked it this morning. I dug my key out of my backpack and entered the house.

"Quinn!" my mom screeched from the kitchen.

"What?" I grumbled, peeking into the kitchen.

"I can't believe you left the door unlocked!"

"Oh, sorry!"

"You'd better be! We could have been robbed!"

"Well, I'm glad we weren't," I offered.

My mom exhaled loudly.

"Alright," she sighed.

I went upstairs to my room, set my backpack on the floor and flopped onto my bed. I took out my phone and sent a group text to Avery, Taryn, and Leo.