Chapter 40

Sunday, September 16th, 2012

Lauren was having difficulty sleeping and had contemplated on calling Camila to tell her about her troubled thoughts but she thought better of it. It was late and Camila was probably already sleeping since she had school the next day. Lauren really wanted to call her and hear her voice to let her know that Agent Brookes called again to say that there was nothing new. However, the younger girl already had trouble sleeping and didn't want to wake her. It wasn't very frequent but from time to time, Camila would have nightmares about her uncle and she would wake up shaken up. Camila shrugs it off every time saying that it's no big deal since it had lessen ever since it happened and Lauren, not wanting to push the girl too far, simply nodded her head in understanding.

Lauren stopped having nightmares a long time ago, she knew that there was a possibility her parents were alive and that kept her alive as well. Everyone in her house was positive about Mike and Clara, even though every now and then they had gotten this wave of sadness rush over them. Some people like to expect the worst of things so they don't get disappointed when it doesn't turn out to be the way they envision it, but Lauren on the other hand, believes that that would only bring her down and make things worse.

Although Lauren had so many questions, she didn't go searching for answers. She was no detective. All she knew was that her parents were missing and the hospital she was born in turns out to be nothing but a lie. She doesn't quite understand why her parents would lie about where she was born. The green-eyed girl suspected that what was going on between Lauren and Camila had something to do with it but if it did, how come Camila's parents are fine? And with those thoughts in mind, she had drifted off to sleep.

Monday, September 17th,2012

She woke up at four in the morning, groaning at her stupid alarm. "Fucking stupid piece of shit," she mumbled. "All I want is sleep, that's all I ask." She whined, sitting up in her bed. She realized it wasn't her alarm making that noise but a phone call instead. She blinked a couple times to get rid of her blurry vision and looked at the screen.

Unknown Caller

She raised an eyebrow and decided to pick it up. She thought that maybe Agent Brookes found out some news and that's when she put her phone back down slowly, her eyes widening.

Someone's calling me at four in the morning and if it's Agent Brookes... it can't be anything good. What if they found my parents bodies? Oh my god, what if they're alive? But what if they're dead? I don't know what to make of this. Lauren thought to herself, she gulped and was about to slide open the call when it stopped ringing.

"Great, your indecisiveness caused you to miss the call." She mumbled grumpily to herself. She looked at the Missed Call for a couple seconds before slouching back in bed. "Well at least I still have an hour left to sleep." She mumbled as her head fell back on the pillow. Suddenly, her phone starts to ring again and she groans, slamming her fist into the pillow beside her. "Can't a girl get her beauty sleep?" This time, Lauren picks up the call with no hesitation.

"It is four in the morning and I would really like to get some sleep so if you don't mind-"

"Lauren." The voice was soft and had sighed in relief. Lauren felt her heart sink at the familiar voice, she thought she would never hear that voice again so soon.

"Mom?" She breathed, clutching her sheets. "Where's dad? Where are you? What's happening?" The girl started rambling.

"Lauren, you need to listen to me, I don't have much time." She whispered through the phone.

Lauren nodded her head but realized her mother couldn't see her and spoke, "Okay."

"Your father is fine," she informed her daughter, "injured, but fine." Lauren felt herself start to panic despite her mother's reassurance, she was about to bombarded her with questions but her mother continued before she was able to ask. "You need to tell Agent Brookes to call off the search. It's endangering the both of us."