Chapter 34: Vacation

"Where are we going again?" Crash asked with his SAD as he, Spyro, Flame, Ember, Cynder, and a flying Sparx walked toward the portal in Artisans. About a week ago, Spyro finally told all of Artisans about Crash and how he had appeared from the future and helped him in defeating Gnasty Gnork. With the backing of the Elders, Crash's assimilation into Dragon life was... still a little bumpy. Crash could still remember the looks every Dragon had given him once they first saw him. It was exactly the same as the looks the Budakan villagers gave him once Coco integrated him into their community. But as the days moved on, the attention he was getting slowly dwindled with time.

"It's a place called Dragon Shores," Spyro responded, "located in the Magic Crafters Realm. The place is amazing; it's a floating island with floating bodies of water. I figure since I'm on vacation, and the weather here hasn't been that great recently, Sparx and I decided it was time for a change in scenery."

"Well I'm finally glad you decided to bring me and Ember along, for once, Spyro." Flame butt in. Cynder looked at him with disgust, though Flame was use to her malice at this point. Cynder and Flame had never got along, and it wasn't going to start today.

"Well Crash," Ember said, "I certainly think you deserve the time to unwind. After all that has happened to you and all you've done for us recently, you certainly deserve this."

"Thanks, Ember. It means a lot." Crash said trying not to use his SAD. Crash blushed after his embarrassingly high pitched and squeaky voice made both Flame and Ember flinch.

"I think you should stick with the white box on your neck, Crash." Flame said somewhat sarcastically, though Ember didn't think the remark was funny.

"Ugh, you're so inconsiderate, Flame! Do you even know or care why Crash doesn't like using SAD?"

"He doesn't? What, did he tell you that or something? Well, I didn't know." Flame said defensively.

"If you were paying attention to Crash's story on the beach a while ago, you would have remembered who gave him that SAD in his future. The same man who has caused him so much pain in his life. But of course you wouldn't care about something if it didn't involve yourself."

"That's not true, Ember!" Flame said unexpectedly loudly. "I care about others."

"Really" Ember said somewhat doubtfully. "Do you care about Spyro? He's your friend and saved your life, but all you do is be jealous and envious of him. And then there's me, and all you ever do is put me down."

Spyro, Cynder, and Crash could only watch as these two went at it.

"I don't put you down, Ember. What, you think I enjoy seeing you depressed and heartbroken because of Spyro. You try to hide it, but it's killing you on the inside. You even made Spyro a necklace, the one you're wearing right now." Flame took a quick glance at Spyro and Cynder before he continued. "Spyro and Cynder's... 'relationship' is hurting you, deeply. I've even seen you cry over it."

Ember at this point was starting to tear up. She didn't know that Flame cared this much. Spyro and Cynder still didn't know what to say, even though they were only feet from these two.

"You're kind and compassionate, Ember. And if Spyro can't see how much you care for him... well maybe he doesn't deserve you."

Crash walked toward Flame and spoke using his SAD, "Why don't you tell her how you feel, Flame?"

Flame looked at Crash confusedly. "What are you talking about?"

"About how much you care, Flame" Crash responded.

"What is he talking about, Flame?" Ember asked emotionally.

Flame didn't know how Crash knew this, but now seemed as good of a time as ever to come clean.

"Ember, I... I love you. I've tried to hide it because I knew how much you cared for Spyro. And I was willing to hide it forever if Spyro ever loved you back, since I knew it would make you happy. But I can't let you be like this any longer. If Spyro can't see how beautiful and compassionate you are, then I'll tell you. I love you, Ember."

Ember looked at Flame, tears reflecting in her eyes. She never knew that Flame had loved her. "I don't k... know what to say, Flame."

"How about, 'I love you?'" Flame said as he came to embrace Ember. They stared at each other, and then pressed their heads together.

"Okay Flame, I love you" Ember whispered as they embraced one another. Cynder looked at the two, and for the first time in her life, she had respect for Flame. Spyro, meanwhile, felt really bad, considering what Flame had just said about him. Spyro knew he was breaking Ember's heart for all these months, but he never knew what to do about it. Crash appeared besides Spyro, and nudged him gently with his elbow. Spyro looked over at Crash surprised.

"Don't feel guilty, Spyro," Crash reassured him with his SAD, "Love is a strange thing, but once you feel it, it will be the best feeling in the world."

Spyro thought of how love was the reason Crash broke free of Cortex's control. He smiled at Crash, and then looked at Ember and Flame. "Ember, I'm sorry for how I've made you feel for all this time. I hope you can forgive me."

Ember smiled and walked toward Spyro. "It's okay Spyro. Here, I want you to have this." She took off her wood carved necklace and gave it to Spyro. "I always intended to give it to you, and now seems as good as a time as ever." Spyro took the necklace from Ember and put it around his neck.

"Thanks," Spyro said softly, "it's beautiful."

After about a twenty second pause, it was Crash that broke the silence. "Alrighty then, to Dragon Shores!" Spyro walked up to the portal and activated it, changing its destination to the Realm of the Magic Crafters. He had learned how to control the portals of the Dragon Realms while he trained with Thomas and Magnus. Crash, Spyro, Sparx, Cynder, Flame, and Ember entered the portal and viewed the vista that was the floating island of the Magic Crafters. Magnus was waiting at the other end of the portal as Spyro and the others emerged from the vortex.

"Welcome, Spyro. Glad to see you've mastered the magic of the Dragon Portals."

"It wasn't that hard." Spyro said confidently. "It's nice to finally be on vacation. So which way is the beach, again?"

Magnus pointed west, and the four dragons made their way to Dragon Shores. Crash was riding on Spyro, and this time Crash didn't have to hold on for his life. The view from the sky was incredible. They spent most of the afternoon at the beach. Surprisingly, even a floating body of water had waves, so Crash hatched an idea. He and Spyro made a quick stop at the Magic Realms castle, and Crash asked for a few supplies. It was the first time that the Dragons in this Realm had seen Crash, but having Spyro accompanying him dropped their alarm. Crash had asked for a rope and requested a uniquely shaped wooden board. Once they had gotten the supplies they needed, he and Spyro joined the others and the beach, and Crash revealed his plan.

Spyro had one end of the rope gripped firmly in his mouth, while Crash used his surfboard and made himself a makeshift parasailing rig. Flame, Ember, and Cynder watched the spectacle, and cheered as Crash dazzled them with his in air tricks.

"Where in the world did you come up with this and get so good at it, Crash?" Flame asked once Crash swam to shore and Spyro landed next to him. Spyro and Crash gave each other a high five before Crash answered his question.

"Well, I learned surfing from Niko, although having Spyro fly around and give me the extra 'hang time' off the waves was my idea. I'm going to work on lunch, you getting in the water, Flame?"

"Oh what? No. I can't swim. Plus I hate getting wet."

"Come on, Flame," Cynder said pressingly, "Spyro doesn't seem to mind." Spyro and Sparks disappeared once they dove into the depths of the floating water.

"Well yeah," Flame responded defensively, "but he can actually breathe underwater, given his contention to that elemental magic crap."

"We could go into the water together, Flame" Ember said as she stood beside Flame.

"Umm... are you sure?" Flame said as their wings touched. A shiver shuttered down his spine, probably caused by nervousness and the unexpected sensual contact from Ember.

"Yeah," Ember continued, "we can learn to swim together." They both slowly entered the ocean together, but didn't go in very far.

"Hey Cynder," Crash said with his SAD, "you want a drink, I brought some wampas and some bowls with me in my bag."

"Umm, sure... Hey Crash, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure" Crash responded as he began to work on making his signature drink.

"Earlier today, how did you know that Flame loved Ember?"

"Well... I kind of guessed." Crash said as he continued to work on beverages.

"You guessed!?"

"You could say it was an educated guess. I saw how Flame and Ember acted together when I first met them on the beach in Artisans, and subsequently when I was welcomed fully into Artisans. The prolonged eye contact, the banter between them, It reminded me of Coco and I." Crash placed a bowl in front of Cynder, but she didn't drink from it right away.

"I never did thank you Crash for releasing me form Gnasty's spell and fulfilling your promise."

"You heard me while imprisoned?"

"Yeah... I have a feeling that you being brought to the past wasn't an accident. I hope you find happiness here, Crash. You've lost a lot, but hopefully you can find peace."

"I will, Cynder. And when you're ready, you should tell Spyro how you feel."

"How did you know?"

"Lucky guess."