Chapter 8

Note: This chapter takes place in episode 128 of the anime when Ryoma was facing Sanada in the Kanto Finals.  

July 27, 2012

Schönsommer Mansion — Juri's Apartments

Morning

"They're here." Coach Ryuzaki informed, referring to the upscale bus that had turned up in the courtyard.

"Alright, what is he thinking right now?" Juri questioned. "I know we need experience in going up against Rikkai, but Hyotei Academy in my house?! I'm just glad mother took the twins to see Grandfather Kunikazu for some judo lessons and tea ceremony, I can't afford to have them in the house with all the bad elements coming in."

"They were the runner ups of the Kanto Tournament last year, they're perfect for this." Coach Ryuzaki reminded her. But she knew there was something else that would explain why Juri was fuming. "Or... Are you still holding a grudge?"

"It wasn't a slap-on-the-wrist crime but a pack-my-bags-take-my-butt-shut crime." Juri prompted.

"Kind of like what you did with Takesue?"

"Different!"

Coach Ryuzaki was perplexed. "Different? How so?"

"Normally I wouldn't let people who hurt my family and those I love live the same anymore, but after seeing that tiebreaker, seeing Kunimitsu out there choosing to win as captain of Seigaku rather than his arm, seeing him fight like a phoenix..." Juri shook her head. "It gave some sort of justification and... Some sort of enlightenment—a part of the rebirth I'm looking for. But... That doesn't mean I don't have something to give to the lamebrain moron of a scion of the Atobe Group."

"Are coming down to watch the matches then?"

"No, but I'll come down later. Show them the tennis courts but don't make them come near the training compound, I had the electric fences on this time."

Coach Ryuzaki giggled. "You really put your resources to use, don't you? Well, I'll be going now."

When Coach Ryuzaki left, Juri sat before her Rococo dressing table and looked at herself in the mirror, she shook her head and gave out a heavy sigh as she reached out to the Phoenix Box and took out her pen and journal for her entry of the day:

Dear Diary,

Today is the last day of training

Forty-eight more hours until the finals.

She paused and fished the musical antique watch. Opening it, Schubert's Swan Song drifted into the air and she looked at the picture of her cousin who was a little boy back then and grimaced at it. With what was going on right now in her house, she wished Tezuka was here and she would indeed give him a black look.

I seriously don't know what he's thinking, and I honestly don't know if this will indeed work, but then again, I need to have faith. Now that I think about it, I've been acting rather strange since yesterday. Father said so, even mother, and even Yuki and Aki. But I shouldn't think about that right now, what I should think right now is Seigaku's victory against Rikkai this Sunday.

They will win.

I just know they will.

Then again... I've been acting strange ever since coming to Japan.