Forest of Shadows

The first thing that Winter felt as she woke up was the feeling of snow. The second the she felt was the pain coming back.

She rolled onto her side, clutching her head.

Her vision blurred before focusing. She saw the grey sky and frost ridden trees.

Winter felt the chill setting into her and she sat up, wrapping her arms around herself. It was useless, the cloak she wore was wet and cold.

"I see you're awake, little princess."

"Duke Wendell," she said underneath her breath.

"Guilty as charged," he said, pulling out his sword. "I would say I'm sorry but I don't have any remorse."

"Morgan put you up to this, didn't she?" Winter tried to get up but her legs were numb and weak. "She wants me dead. Why?"

"You're a threat. You're popular amongst the people. You have some sort of mystical power. Who know and who cares," Wendell said, towering over her. "All I know is If I get you out of the way then I'll get your sister to marry me. Of course, I'll have to kill her and then take over the throne but-" he raised his sword. "You'll have to die first."

The the sword came down.

Whatever it was, Winter suddenly felt her feet move. She dodged the sword before it could strike her. She stumbled but she leaned on a tree for support.

"What?" he said staring back at the sword. "Never mind that," he growled.

Winter took this as her chance and ran. Deep and far into the forest that was deemed dangerous during the winter. She could hear the foot steps of Wendell and she continued to run, until the grey light of the sky was blocked out by the tress and the frost on the ground turned into snow.

She tripped, she stumbled and she could hear his foot steps still.

Her foot slipped on some ice and she skidded across until she came to a stop. When she opened her eyes, she realised where she was.

She heard a crunch and looked down. Winter swept away the snow to find ice underneath. What looked like a field of snow was really a frozen river. She must have been closer to Mount. Acon for winter to set in this quickly. Another crunch was heard and she stayed absolutely still.

The line of trees from which she came were dark and ominous.

'I ran through that?' She thought.

She heard the stores of the woods but she thought they were just fairy tails in order to keep children away from the forest during the winter.

Now looking at the forest, she realised that it was sinister and cold. There was something in the forest that was just too dark, she didn't realise it while running for her life.

"It seems that I've finally caught you, princess." From the clearing, Wendell came out from the line of trees with his steed. He smirked and dismounted.

The ice was too dangerous and too thin to cross through, it seemed he would just have to end her in a different way.

"I hope you like the cold, Princess." He raised his sword and backed into the ice sheet. Once, twice and on the third time, the ice gave way. A giant crack made its way to Winter and then once again she felt something and her legs moved.

The ice sheet was cracking apart to form gaps of cold river that would surely kill her.

She didn't look back at Wendall, she ran as fast as she could carry herself. The broken ice and freezing water nipping at her feet, trying to drag her in.

The ice finally gave way, much to the glee of Duke Wendall. She was submerged midway into the cold water.

It hit her like bricks and sliced into her. She gasped but she couldn't bring in any air. Her legs felt like lead.

Her arms were still moving and thrashing, trying to find something to pull her out. She drowned out the sound of Wendell'l laughter.

Her hand reached for a tree branch but it broke. Her breath was becoming shallow and her body was numb. Winter didn't want to die but she didn't know what she was living for. Raul maybe? Cora? The Duchess? She didn't know but they me at something but were they enough to keep her living.

With one more effort she pushed her self out of the river and onto a floating ice sheet. She just stayed there and turned to Wendall who was seething in anger.

"You can't run forever, Winter. If I don't kill you, the forest will and if not the forest then the cold! You're good as dead, Winter!" He screamed. "You'll be gone soon enough! Mark my words!" He then turned her back to her and climbed up onto his horse, galloping away, leaving Winter alone.

On the other side of the river bank, Winter crawled into the forest. Her legs were even more numb and her body was done. She couldn't feeling anything.

Her mind was in shambles. She didn't know what to do. She didn't know where to go. She didn't even know what to say.

Before her body shut down, Winter could only ask one thing: Why?