Hanging On His Every Word

I watched patients come and go for the hours of that morning. Some came with the most painful injuries I'd ever seen, and hoped I'd never see again. I soon found myself hiding my face in Tyler's chest more often than not. Normally, he would've laughed, but he was as squeamish as I was with some of this stuff. And hearing his country ass squeal was both funny and rare.

Yet as the morning went I felt the fatigue set in, and she wasn't even out of surgery. I ended up fighting it slumped in my chair since I wanted the be up and ready to go see her.

"If you want to just lean on me and go to sleep, I'll wake you up if something happens," he suggested after I yawned.

"What if you fall asleep?" I asked.

"Then the nurse will wake us up. I don't think she's gonna want you falling asleep on her when she first wakes up anyway," he continued.

"I still don't know." He dropped his arm around me and pulled me up against him again. I may have been unsure about a nap, but holy shit I loved laying on him.

"It's alright," he said softly,"I will literally stay awake for you if it'll help you sleep easier. I got a few hours when I went home anyway. You look exhausted."

"You don't have to stay up. I guess it can't really hurt."

"There you go. Go ahead."

He brushed a piece of hair out of my face and smiled down at me. I loved it.

"Damn," he whispered to himself with a smile.

"What?" I asked softly with a smile of my own.

"Nothing," he smiled,"Just close your eyes and get some sleep."

I just smiled off my curiosity and closed my eyes. I felt him kiss the top of my head which really sent chills up my spine. It wasn't something he hadn't done when we were younger just to be sweet, or when I was upset. He truly was the best friend id ever had.

But God to feel his soft lips pressed against my head really brought those feelings back strong. Unfortunately, I'd been stuck in the friend zone for way too long to do anything. I could only envy whoever he chose to be his, and get even with any guy or girl to break his heart. That's just the type of friend I was. I'd seen a fair share of his broken heart moments after a break up.

Soon, I drifted off to sleep making the best of situations in my dreams. It's sad, I know, but I was used to it. Now that he was famous, he could have any girl or guy he wanted. So why would he want plain old me?

Still my dreams showed me how amazing it'd be for me if it ever happened.

I woke up a little while later to Tyler shaking my arm.

"Kay," he said,"Wake up. The nurse says Jenna just woke up." That got me to pop right up.

"What room number?" I asked.

"346. Why don't you head up there? I'll be up after I take care of something on the phone."

"Alright," I smiled before heading to the room he'd said. I repeated the number over and over in my head so my absent mind wouldn't forget it. 346. I hopped in a elevator to the third floor after checking the hospital map.

I quickly made my way to her room and opened the door slowly.

"Hey, sweetie," I smiled with so much relief from seeing her.

"Kayla," she said excitedly.

"How do you feel?" I asked.

"I'm better now. Except I've got stitches on my tummy now, and I have to be here for a few days," she said as I went to sit by her.