Chapter 3- "Just like old times?"

I jump when Kirstie hugs me from behind, almost smudging my makeup.

"Kirstie!" I scold, finishing my makeup quickly and turning around to see my best friend for the first time, in real life, since I left three years ago. I lose my stern expression quickly though and give her a bear hug.

She wiggles her eyebrows when I pull away and I narrow my eyes at her.

"Jake's on the couch," she says pausing for dramatic effect, "asleep."

I give her a smirk. "Just like old times?" I ask.

"Exactly what I was thinking," she replies quietly. The only difference is that I weigh a lot less now.

We sneak downstairs, avoiding the creaky spots. When we reach the living room I can see Jake on the couch, face up. I sneak around to the front of the couch and Kirstie grabs the air horn out of the closet.

Kirstie and I get into place.

I bend my knees and Kirstie places her hand on the button. I jump up and back and as soon as I land, Kirstie pushes the button on the air horn, right in Jake's ear.

He wakes up in a panic, breathing hard, and trying to get up. When he notices me sitting on his stomach he narrows his eyes.

"You little-"

"Jake! Watch your mouth! There are children present," I hear a familiar voice say as a hand pats my head.

I whip around and see Sam standing behind me. I jump up and wrap him in a tight hug.

"I missed you too, pumpkin." he whispers as I snuggle my face into his neck.

I step back, "Who are you calling a child?" I pout. "I'm eighteen in one month."

"You will always be a child to me," he replies. "and Jake probably exaggerated, only our teams and friends are coming over."

"So, still most of the school," I joke and push his arm, laughing.

Jake sits up and Sam and I sit to either side of him. Kirstie jumps over the back of the couch and lands next to Sam. They all start mumbling to each other and I strain to hear what they're saying.

"Dude you tell her, she's your sister." I hear from Jake.

"Tell me what?" I interrupt.

Sam stands up and Jake and Kirstie leave the room. "Listen, um. I don't really know how to say this and I think Kirstie would be better at explaining this but," Sam starts.

"What's going on Sam?" I ask carefully. His expression darkens and his eyes fill with sadness.

"I never wanted to have to tell you this in this way." he says and I shoot him a look that says, just get on with it I'm getting suspicious. He bows his head and mumbles.

"What was that?"

"Iinvitedaidfjdpdakjd."

"What?"

"Iknowyouhateherbutajkdlghldalteam."

"Seriously Sam, stop messing around. Just say it." I snap, but when he finally says it in a comprehensible way I wish I had never come back from France, I wish I hadn't asked, I wish I'd never even gone to Paris in the first place. "Why didn't you tell me this when it happened, Sam!"

He ducks his head and I turn and storm into the garage. He calls after me but I ignore him. I grab the keys to my favorite of my cars and rip out of the garage and the driveway. I'm speeding down the streets, but even if I get a ticket, I don't care.

I'm too pissed to care.