Chapter 9 - Date? (Ash)

I got to school with Gary just as early as last week. My Mom waking me up early allowed me to get to school earlier than usual.

We was walking towards the gates and I told him about my Mom pretty much setting me up on a date.

"Wait, so you decided not to send the message but you left your phone on, so your Mom done it" We stopped outside of the gates for a moment.

"Sounds about right" I let out a sigh. It was a little bit annoying but I couldn't just say no now, especially after everything that has happened between me and her.

"Also. It's with your ex, ex girlfriend?!" He almost shouted this out so I gestured to him to be quiet.

"Erm...Yup" I half smiled as we walked into school.

"You have to tell everyone. They will wonder where you'll be at lunch anyway" I considered Gary's words.

"Maybe you're right Gary. I'll tell them" I nodded to myself, it wouldn't be so bad. Right?

"Oh hey Gary and Ash" Misty greeted us as we walked closer.

"You guys will never believe what our buddy Ash has done" Gary had one of his stupid grins on his face and put his arm around me.

"What has he done now?" Iris put her hands on her hips. She sounded like my Mom for a moment.

"He has only gone and scored himself a date!" Gary sounded so proud of me. It wasn't like he got any girls anyway.

"Who is the lucky lady?" Iris asked as she drank some water.

"This is when it gets good. It's his ex, Sarah" Gary began laughing as Iris spat her water out and Misty looked like she was about to die.

"What?!" They shouted in unison, bringing some looks our way.

"What's all the noise about?" Serena asked as the rest of the group arrived.

"Oh you will never guess what Ketchum has got himself" Gary patted me on the back and I sighed.

Today was going to be a long day.

The bell rang for lunch and I headed to the cafeteria to get my lunch.

I noticed Sarah in the corner. I haven't spoken to her in months, so it could be a little awkward. I took a deep breath and walked over to her, setting my tray down on the table. This got her attention and she looked up.

"Oh, hi Ash" She gave me such a bright smile. I could tell she still had the same feelings for me straighaway.

"Hey" I said, trying to sound as happy as possible. I still wasn't sure about this whole idea, but I was kind of stuck now "You wanted to talk about it?" I asked. She nodded in answer.

"Why are you suddenly asking me out on a date?" She raised her eyebrow at me.

"A good question" I scratched my head nervously "Well, me and Serena have been apart for a few weeks an-"

"You broke up?  You looked so good together" I looked at Sarah in surprise, she would never say things like that.

"It was more of a 'taking a break' kind of thing, but things between her and Kevin have gotten serious, so I thought I should move on too" I gave her what was now a weak smile. This felt so weird.

"So this isn't permanent, you two breaking up I mean?" She looked a little worried for a moment, I could see in her eyes she cared.

"I have no idea" Her question made me feel unhappy. It made me remember how I felt when Serena and Kevin first started dating just over a month ago. I was crushed by it and wanted to be alone. I put my head on the table, propping it up with folded arms.

"Listen, Ash. I think you know how I still feel about you. But I can't see you so upset. I think we shouldn't date" I tilted my head up to look at her, she looked so serious and smiled.

"Wait. Why?" I felt so confused, why would she say that? It wasn't like I actually decided to in the first place.

"Because it will only make you feel worse. If anything you should wait a little longer, see what happens. I also know that a very important day is coming up soon, so it would be bad if you started now" She looked outside for a moment, before turning back to me "Also, it felt like you didn't send that text. You sleep like a log so it didn't seem right"

"Your right. I typed it out, but I hesitated and decided not to, I couldn't. Then I left my phone on and my Mom sent it" I scratched my head again "Does that make me a bad person, trying to still go through with it?"

"Not at all, Ash. It shows you will do anything to make people happy" She smiled at a time when I thought she would be upset, it made me feel warm inside "you're an amazing person"

"Thanks, Sarah. For understanding and caring. You're awesome!" I reached out and hugged Sarah, as a thanks. I was pretty sure she blushed. I laughed a little bit and smiled my biggest smile.

"I'll see you around" I got up to and headed to my friends.

"Ash?" I heard Sarah say. I span round to face her.

"Thank you" She smiled and waved. I turned back around and walked off. Why would she thank me?

"So, Ketchum. You got a date?" Everything went quiet on the table as everyone listened in, even Serena.

"Nope" I said, stretching up and relaxing. I was getting looks from everyone like I was some sort of weirdo "Maybe I just can't get any girls" I casually shrugged

My words caused Gary to grin "I told you I can teach you" He forcefully patted my back.

"Gary. Teach someone something? You can hardly learn" Iris stared blankly at Gary, who looked angry.

This prompted Drew and Kenny to laugh. I smiled at them laughing. They always made fun of Gary and he didn't understand half of it, his ego blinded him.

I looked at Serena out of the corner of my eye. She was looking at me? She had a large smile on her face and when I turned to her she instantly snapped her head away.

Was she happy I wasn't dating anyone else? A strange feeling built up inside of me. I had a feeling that was similar to when I first looked at Serena. She looked beautiful. I turned away and let the question float in my mind.

Would we ever get back together again?