chapter four

Bullies.

Everyone has either been one or experienced one. I've had my few share of bullies. That's because I looked like an easy target. I was short, quiet, had no friends and I wasn't the skinniest boy ever. Bullies thought I was a perfect victim.

Dylan Clarke. What an ässhole. He was the only kid in our year who grew underarm hair at the age of 12. He was taller than me (like everyone else was) and he had a big block of a head. Thinking about him now makes me laugh.

Him and his gang use to push me into lockers, call me names and their personal favourite was to beat the cräp out of me. Being the minuscule person I was, I wasn't that great a self defence but Perry was. That's how our friendship blossomed.

I was getting beaten up at the usual alleyway beside Carl's Shop just a few minutes from school. Dylan and his gang chased me there and gave me a few punches to the stomach and face. If Perry didn't walk by with a hotdog shoved in his mouth, I would've probably ended up with a nose like Owen Wilson.

I remember I used to be so scared of them. How they towered over me, making me feel small but look at me now. I'm a 6"4 lanky dude with some messed up background. And where's Dylan now? Well let's just say he's probably napping in a cell right now.

Walking down the quiet, foggy streets at exactly 5:06 and seeing Carl's Shop, brought back them
memories like they happened just yesterday.

I approached the shop that was dimly lit by its red L.E.D lights that spelt out "CARL'S". This was our towns local shop. It might not look like a pretty place on the outside and the inside wasn't much better but it was the closest shop to anyone.

I walked through the door and it made a ding. Am I the only person that finds them annoying? I made a straight b-line for the fridges. I opened the door and picked a carton of milk at the very back of the fridge. I don't want to risk giving my parents sour milk. I also picked up at packet of Reese's Pieces as they are my favourite. I quickly paid for them and headed out the shop.

Once I got out the door, I immediately opened the Reese's Pieces and popped a few into my mouth. I closed my eyes with satisfaction. I missed eating these.

Just as I was about to throw in another few into my mouth, I heard some muffled shouting coming from my favourite alley. You know, the one where I always got beaten up in. Ah the memories.

I turned the corner and at the end of the short alleyway, there was three guys cornering another guy. The three guys with no doubt looked bigger and stronger than the other guy. It was like déjà vu, that my bully experiences was happening to another poor soul.

I stood hidden at the corner so they won't see me. I wasn't going to go in there without anything happen- I spoke too soon. The guy on the left punched the smaller guy right in the face. With this, he fell down to the ground. They were all sniggering and laughing at him. Poor fella.

This reminded me of every time, I got beaten up. I remember when they punched me and called me names, I wanted someone to swoop in and save me from them
ässholes. I wanted a hero to come and save me (as cheesy as it sounds but hey, I was 10.) To not make history repeat itself, I stuffed my Reese's Pieces into my pocket and walked briskly down the alleyway towards the brawl.

"HEY!", I shouted down the alley, making my voice echo. The three bullies stopped what they were doing and turned around to face me. I tried to give off a scary ora but it was kind of hard when your holding a carton on milk. I tried not to mind the milk freezing my hand and focus on saving this kid from an Owen Wilson nose.

"You like picking on smaller kids? Huh?", I questioned them. As I was nearing them, I started to walk slower, making myself look taller and more intimidating. They all looked at me with mouths fully open and eyes wide with fear.