Chapter 5

-Chloe POV-

~a few weeks later~

We were all sitting round the camp fire eating something we had scavenged for dinner. I was sitting next to Carl, as usual, and Sophia.

"We need to make a run into the city. I know it's over run, but if a small group goes, then we have a better chance", Shane told us. He kind of made him myself in charge of the group.
"I'll go, I know the city like the back of my hand", Glenn volunteered.
"I'll go", morales did to.
"I know all the sewage systems of the city", Jaqui.
"Could be good to get out of this place", Andrea said, referring to our make shift camp.
"I agree", T-Dog added.
"I'll go", Merle said then smirked.
"So...Glenn, Morales, Jaqui, Andrea, T, Merle", Shane repeated.
"Can I go? It would be so fun", I asked.
"No", Shane answered.
"Your not my parent", I shot back.
"Chloe! No cheek. And no are you stupid", mom said angrily.
"Just asking a simply question. Jeez!", I replied and rolled my eyes. This new world has an effect on me. I didn't have my favourite parent, and yes I know your not meant to pick favourites but oh well, dead things are trying to eat me. Just the way I want my childhood to go! Note my sarcasm.
"Leave tomorrow at first light, bring a radio so you can call if in trouble", Shane told them.

"This is boring", I complained a after a few minutes of silence.
"Then go and sleep", mom said.
"Okay, night", I said and walked off, not even waiting for a reply. Me, mom and Carl sleep in the same tent. Me and Carl didn't want to be separated so we put both our blankets right next to each others.

I lay down and looked at the roof of the tent. I heard the zipper open and with out looking I already knew who it was. It was mom. She came and sat next to me.
"What has gotten into you these past few weeks?", she asked.
"This new world", I answered.
"Anything else?".
"I..",I paused wondering if I should tell her,"I.. Just... I really miss dad", I could feel the tears welling in my eyes. I let a couple fall.
"Aww baby, we all do. Come here", she motioned for me to hug her.

This is one thing that I really love about mom. She is really good at comforting me. I sat up and put my head into the crook of her neck. I started to soak her shirt with the tears that fell. I heard the tent zipper again. The only person it could be was Carl. He came over and sat in the other side of me.
"I heard from out side", he quietly said. He hugged me and then mom joined in.
I then fell asleep next to my brother.

"You all got your weapons?", Shane's voice woke me up. I looked around realising mom was gone. I left Carl sleeping and went out of the tent. Then I remembered today was the day of the run.

"Hey there sleepy head!", mom said cheerfully.
"Hey mom", I said, a slightly duller tone to hers. Everyone was sitting round the fire having some food I sat down next to Andrea.
"hi", I said. Me and her have been getting along really well. Also her sister Amy too.
"Hey Clo", she said back.
"Be safe on the run today".
"I will don't you worry", then she gave me a side hug.

~after they left~

"Mom can I have a knife I want to...sharpen sticks", I asked trying not to make it obvious that I was lying. 
"Sure, but only that. And don't run holding it and no stabbing people", she told me. I rolled my eyes.
"Okay", mom then handed me a steal knife with a purple painted wooden handle.

After that I made sure no one was looking and I ran into the woods. I came to a part that on a path that had bushes to one side and a biggish drop to the other side. I just can't take it any more. My dad is gone. My best friends are gone. My mom spends most of her time with Shane. I put the knife to my head above my ear.
"Goodbye", I whispered. Suddenly, a snake jumped out of the bush, make me jump and roll down the drop. I rolled about 15 times over rocks and hitting trees. When I got to the bottom, every thing became blurry.

I must have been sitting there for about half an hour shout for help before I saw a man at the top.
"Chloe what happened?", it was Shane. I didn't care that it was him. I can't ever get up.
"I...I...I tried to take my own life. Then a snake came out of the bush and I fell. Now I can't move", I said on the verge of tears.
"Two seconds. I'll come down and get you", he replied then disappeared. A few minutes later, he appeared from the other side where there wasn't a drop. He picked me up bridal style and took me back to camp.
"Are you okay?", he questions just before we got to camp.
"Y-ye-yeah I-I'm fine", I stuttered then everything went black.