Part III - Chapter 2

Sweet red tomato sauce and melted cheese oozed across his lips as Tyler bit into the enormous slice of pepperoni pizza. He groaned with pleasure. This moment had been singularly on his mind since they entered the quad. Well, maybe not singularly.

There was no denying it--Branson's sister was hot. It was hard to tell if he was losing it because he hadn't been around any females for three months or because she was something special. He'd never forget her face. Her body. Man, even what she was wearing. He wasn't used to women with style. That lace mini-dress sort of looked like one of his mom's doilies, but it hugged her hips just right, and those brown cowboy boots really showed off her long legs. The short denim jacket...yeah, she knew how to put it together.

It was probably the handshake that still had him simmering. What the hell was that about? It was like he stuck his finger in an electrical outlet when their skin touched. Maybe it was static electricity. Weird.  She pulled her hand away like she'd been burned.

The hearty aroma of basil and garlic brought the pizza slice back to the forefront of his attention and he took another large bite.

His mom laughed. "From the way you're tearing into that pizza, I am guessing it wasn't on the menu at chow hall. Did you eat your scrambled eggs every morning too?"

He grinned from ear to ear with his mouth closed and chewed faster.

"You know they don't do that anymore, Mom. That whole 'saltpeter curbs your libido' thing is a myth."

"I dunno, Ty. You know how the Corps is. Don't fix anything that isn't broken. It's worked for them for a couple hundred years!"

"Mom, I didn't eat eggs."

"Aha! Then you must have had your suspicions! I knew it!"

He got the giggles and nearly choked on his pizza. He couldn't help it. Mom was such a character.

"Seriously, I was too exhausted to think about girls. And I was sleeping in a squad bay with 70 other guys! Shit mom, get real..."

"Hey, watch your language young man. We aren't in the barracks right now. I don't want you bringing that foul mouth home. Save it for the service, okay?"

"Yes ma'am," he dipped his head and shoved the last bit of pizza into his mouth.

"Aw, I'm sorry, Ty. I didn't mean to jump on you. I just worry–well–I tried to raise you with manners, you know..."

"It's okay, Mom. I get it. You don't want me to sound like Grandpa."

Terri chuckled. "I loved my dad so very much. But he could drop an F-bomb into every sentence. He always said it was the Corps' fault, you know? I don't think he really liked swearing. He certainly didn't approve of it in his children. It just came out of his mouth so easily." She leaned in, "I just hope you're able to maintain an "off" switch. That's all I am asking." Her eyes were begging. He felt like a heel.

"I'll do my best. Forgive me in advance if I slip up occasionally?"

"Deal."

After his fill of pizza, Tyler was anxious to get moving and walk off some of the calories he shouldn't have consumed. "Hey Mom, would you like to see the museum and the shops?"

"You said the magic word! Shops! Let's go."

He offered his mother his left arm, as the right must always be free to salute at any time. There were a lot of rules to memorize about etiquette and protocol, but they made him feel comfortable and in control.

In the museum's souvenir store, Terri found her prize: a tee shirt emblazoned with the USMC seal that read, "Proud Mother of a Marine."

He smiled wide and inquired without moving his lips, "Are you going to wear that at graduation tomorrow?"