01 → IDIOT

THIRD PERSON POV

NINE YEARS PRIOR

    SHE kept sprinting through the woods, jumping over fallen branches or ducking under low-hanging ones

SHE kept sprinting through the woods, jumping over fallen branches or ducking under low-hanging ones. Her breathing was erratic as she continued running for her life, trying to outrun her pursuer.

At that point, her legs were burning and her heart was pounding out of her chest. The books in her hands became an inconvenience, and she immediately dropped them. Everything scattered over a patch of dead leaves and twigs, but it was the least of her worries. Penelope needed to find her way back home soon.

Then she heard it—his quick and heavy feet as he chased after the poor frightened girl. He was barely out of breath unlike Penelope, and running after her was an easy task. The fallen or hanging branches were no hard obstacles for him, and his fast agility was bringing him closer to her.

However, before going any further, he stopped abruptly, taking notice of the school supplies on the ground. White loose leaf papers were everywhere, ruined of ever being used. Four books had also fallen, all which carried a blue stamp, indicating that they came from Erudite. He rolled his eyes and quickly picked up her fallen books.

In seconds, he managed to locate the little girl, her head bobbing as she continued running from him. She was feet ahead of him, and Eric could clearly hear her heavy breathing. Although, he was a bit shocked at how far she had gotten without giving up. The kid showed some determination and strength.

Penelope heard his crunching footsteps even closer, and her fear spiked even higher. She pushed herself to keep running away from the boy—faster. If he reached her who knows what he had in plan. The fact that he was still chasing after her proved that he had something planned. And the closer he got, just a few feet behind her, made her believe she must have done something wrong.

"Hey!" The boy called after her.

She flinched at the booming sound of his deep voice. The pounding against her ribcage intensified and her breathing came quicker. Penelope was growing weary, every inch of her body burning. Muscles she had never used before screamed, begging that she stop or at least slow down. Mud from the rain just three days ago splashed as she continued sprinting, some of it covering her legs and the bottom of her favorite dress. Her light yellow sweater was hanging off one of her shoulders, dangerously close to falling off. It flapped with the whipping wind, along with her floral dress.

Before she knew it, though, it started drizzling. It was like her acknowledgment of the mud and rain had triggered the bad luck. First, some boy was chasing after her, probably planning her punishment as he followed her. Then it started drizzling, which was eventually followed by pouring rain. And all of this had to happen right after her very first day of school.

"Amity, stop!"

Eric had enough of her childish acts. He had no motive to keep following her; he just wanted to know why she ran in the first place. She must have done something wrong, or else Amity would've never ran like that. The moment the small girl caught sight of Eric, she made a quick beeline for the woods and started sprinting through the trees. So with the duty he had been given to fulfill the requirements of becoming leader, Eric trailed behind the possibly troublesome girl.