06 → CHANGE

PENELOPE'S POV

STARK sat on the top step of my porch, patiently waiting for me to return

STARK sat on the top step of my porch, patiently waiting for me to return. I returned with two glasses of lemonade, carefully handing him one and taking a seat next to him. He smiled at me, murmuring a soft thank you. We sat there, a few inches of space between us, looking out into the beautiful scenery. Trees and more trees everywhere.

He took a couple sips of his lemonade, humming softly to himself, possibly expressing his like over the taste. I laughed softly, closing in the space between us and resting my head over his shoulder, while I momentarily closed my eyes.

"It was never my intention to take things that far, Penelope. .I—I should've never said the things I said," Stark murmured, one hand resting over my knee.

I sighed softly, slowly opening my eyes. "I just wish you'd never said something so. .horrible. He wouldn't be capable of doing that to me. .or his son."

"Can you blame me?"

I gritted my teeth, silently wishing he hadn't asked me that. Our last encounter, three weeks ago, had ended horribly, and maybe this day would, too.

"Eric wasn't happy when we first found out I was pregnant—I'll tell you that much—but he came to love our baby. .He really did. The first few weeks were tough, but I know Eric grew to love our baby unconditionally. .Even if he never admitted it to me or anyone else."

Stark sighed heavily next to me, the one hand on my knee reaching for my hand. He took it desperately, squeezing it tightly but without much discomfort. I raised my head off his shoulder, looking up at him to really take in his appearance.

Stark didn't appear too happy, and the grim look on his face made it clearer. His eyebrows were furrowed heavily, and I saw it in his eyes that he was tormented. But I didn't know over what exactly. Stark shook his head once and squeezed my hand one more time, as if silently indicating that I knew why he was feeling the way he was.

"He was good to me," I began, making sure to meet his eyes. "Eric treated right, but it wasn't always like that. And I won't tell you every little detail, because it's still my life and I have every right to keep some things to myself. But I can tell you that there were a lot of bad days. .more than I wish there would've ever been."

Stark set his drink down a little harshly then ran his hand across his face. He tore his gaze from me, pressing his hand over his eyes to cover them, hiding his current emotions from me.

I wasn't sure if to continue explaining myself, if that was what I was doing in the first place. There wasn't a lot of explaining three weeks ago, so right now was my only chance. He needed to hear some of the truth from me, just so he wouldn't assume the worse. But again, Stark's version of what may have happened in my marriage might've not been off by much. And it was what truly scared me.