04 → STARK ANDREWS

EVAN left not long after I ended my call with Eric

   EVAN left not long after I ended my call with Eric. I apologized for making him stand right outside the door, but he understood why I made him do that. He shook my hand, promising that he would try and approach me better next time. Afterwards, I watched him disappeared through the rain, back towards where he came from.

Strangely, the rain turned into a gentle drizzle later in the day. A cold breeze still came and went, reminding me not to shout victory just yet. But I did take the opportunity to go out to the Dome. It sounded better than being stuck in my little cabin.

Just as I had imagined, more than a handful of people were in the Dome, sitting at the picnic tables. Most were kids my age or a few years younger, with the exception of a few adults. They chatted amongst one another, smiles on their faces. It was nice seeing everyone that way.

"Penelope! Hey!" A girls voice called.

I looked through the few people there, searching for the person that had called my name. A delicate, mocha-colored hand stuck in the air, waving me over. I hurried over, sending a quick smile to the few people who turned and looked my way.

In seconds, I reached the mystery person, only to find it was Faith. She sat in a picnic table nearest towards where people normally line up for daily meals. Once I'd reached her, Faith jumped to her feet and greeted me with a hug. I giggled softly, a little surprised by her bubbly persona.

"God, I haven't seen you in days! How have you been, hun?" She pulled away, flashing me a bright smile.

"I, um—good. Things have been a little lagging with the crappy weather."

She laughed softly. "Come on, Penelope. We're not here to talk about the weather. Have a seat." She motioned towards a spot, right next to her. "Stark and Damien went to get a couple of drinks. They should be back soon."

"Stark?" I asked, biting down on my lip.

"Yeah," Faith answered, glancing around. Probably looking for him. "Oh! Here they come."

I looked towards where she pointed, catching sight of the one and only—Stark Andrews. He carried two medium-sized bottles in his hands, playfully tossing one and catching it. Damien walked alongside Stark, laughing about something Stark must have said. They hadn't yet seen me, and I was growing anxious by the second.

When they were just a few feet apart, they finally saw me. Damien's eyes widened and he immediately lunged towards me, pulling me to my feet. His arms were thrown around me, hugging me so tightly I actually gasped. A few tears sprang to my eyes, but I didn't know if it was due to Damien's bone-crushing hug or the fact that I hadn't yet seen him in person since the burial of my sweet baby James.

"Penelope Elizabeth Odysseus!" Damien practically screeched. "How dare you show your face just now?"

"Oh, Damien," I mumured, closing my eyes tightly. "I've missed you so much."