Poor Kelly

When we wake up, my first thought is to call Kelly. She may not go to school, but there's no need. When Cami and I walk into the kitchen, I notice my mom is on edge. She nearly drops the pot of coffee when we walk in. I didn't eve need to ask what happened, since I of course already knew. But she talked anyways. What I gathered from her ramble was Kelly's dad was arrested for drunk driving. Apparently, he got in a car accident, and the person in the other car was killed. It was his fault. Kelly's dad was so drunk he apparently couldn't even talk properly. My mom finished, emersing me in a heartfilled hug. I'm still in shock! It doesn't sound ANYTHING like Mr. Pearson. He gave up alchol three years ago. I wonder what had happened...

    The walk to school is silent. Kelly isn't coming to school (no surprise). So it's just me and Cami. I know Cami is thinking about her own father. I just don't understand if what we suspect is going on is really what is going on with Cami. What I'm worried about is her showing up to school one day with not only a bruis, but maybe a broken arm or a black eye. That's what we are all nervous about.

    School is boring. When I walk down the hall, all I hear is murmurs. And chances are, the gossip is on Kelly's dad. How many of them are even telling the truth? Telling what really happened? I bet more than half are spreading insance rumors; stuff like him being a drug dealer, rapist, or some weird serial killer. But I know Mr. Pearson. He would never do stuff like that.

    After school I call Kelly. She doesn't answer. So instead, I head next door. I knock on her door. But who opens the door seems like someone I don't even know. Kelly's perkiness is disquised in grey sweatpants and a hoodie; her blonde hair is matted behind a hood, and her pink skin is pale stone. She invites me in. Then we talk. She tells me how her mom had threatened to leave her dad and he lost it. Well, now he's not only getting divorced, but he's in prison. Kelly is ABSOLOTELY losing her mind. She lost Tanner, then her parents are splitting, and now her daddy is in prison. Who knows how long he'll be packed away for. I honestly don't think Kelly is going to have an easy time with all of this. I know Kelly well, and she isn't good with these kind of 'tramatic' events (but then again, who is?). She cannot handle all of this at once.