Prologue

Prologue

Her body screamed at her. Every fiber of her being cried out for release, but she knew she had to return to the others. Her clan was waiting. She had to make it back to them. Tell them what had happened. She choked back a sob as she staggered back toward the entrance to the ruin. She gripped an outcrop on the wall as another lash of pain wracked her body. Grunting, she lost her grip and collapsed to the rock strewn floor. As she started to lose consciousness she heard a faint, soothing voice somewhere in the dark.

 Hush Child. Hush now. This is not the end of your journey. Be patient.

 "Oh Tamlen. What have you done? Did . . . did I not say to leave that thing alone?” she muttered to herself as the darkness enclosed around her. She rolled onto her back and with one weary hand gripped her bow tighter to her. As she lay panting, a cold sweat breaking out over skin, she heard another voice. This one was deeper than the last and more substantial. She turned her head in the direction of the sounds, straining to hear with her delicately pointed ears. At the limit of her numbed senses, she heard someone speak to another.

“Ayu! She's here! Ayu's alive!”

“Quickly! We must return her to camp. Wrap her in this blanket and move quickly.” The deep voice spoke again.

A dark figure approached her and as she lost consciousness she felt warm hands surround her. Her body became extremely light.

Sleep now Child. You shall be well again. I am your protector. Your journey is not over . . .

***

 “Is she going to wake up Keeper Marethari?”

“I hope so child. I only wish there was more I could do for her. She is beyond the help of even my magic. Let us pray for Mythal to keep her safe.”

“She has to leave with that Shemlen doesn't she? If she wakes up that is . .”

“Calm yourself Merrill. You and I both know that Mythal will never let this one die. Ayu is strong and the Warden has assured me that by joining with them she will live. Believe in him as you know Ayu would. I know she is your dearest friend Merrill, but don't cry over her just yet.”

Ayu stirred on the bedroll near the Keeper and her First. Merrill let out a squeak of surprise and was immediately gripping Ayu's hand tightly.

“Ayu! My friend, you are finally awake! Oh Mythal be praised! You live!” Merrill dropped her head onto Ayu's chest and began to cry happy tears.

As Ayu's eyes adjusted to the brightness of the afternoon sun, she saw a tall dark figure approach them. “This must be the Shemlen they were talking about” she thought. “I wonder what a human is doing in the middle of a Dalish camp?”

“Keeper Marethari, I see our friend has finally woken up. I'm glad to see that she is finally well enough to travel with me. Your magic is strong indeed Keeper.”

The voice was deep and sounded very familiar to Ayu's ears. She turned her head toward him and noticed, indeed, that he was a human male. Ayu attempted to sit upright, but Merrill's sobbing torso stopped her from doing so.

“Merrill, please. Allow Ayu to sit up . . and fetch her some water. She's had naught to eat or drink for two days. Quickly child.” Marethari chastised Merrill. At her command, Merrill immediately sprang to her feet and darted off to fetch water and some bread.

“Keeper . . what's going on? Oh I have such a headache . .” Ayu dropped her face into her hands and began to rub her temples. “Did you find Tamlen? Please tell me you found him . .”