The gift...

Dedicated to Dear Kaushik for being the truest definition of a friend, for being my 1st reader and for keeping up with my tantrums. I love you Akshu :*

V POV:-

This morning was as normal as ever. The bright rays of sun dancing in through the floor-length glass door and the sharp chirping of birds, which was my alarm tune - yes- this day was meant to be monotonous until my eyes again landed on my android screen.

17th May

My breath hitched as I threw off my blanket and walked over for a cold shower. Tomorrow was the day... her day. Her 19th birthday- another year added to her classic beauty. I admit that she has grown to be quite a different personalty. She is peculiar in her own way, hot and cold packed together but who ever liked normal.She has come to like biking, I never saw that one coming. Oh and she loves to bake too! She loves books but hates studying. Oxymoron personified, isn't she?

With every passing day I find myself falling more in love with her and I wonder- till how long can I actually hide. How long before I reveal myself in front of her?

Buttoning my last button I wondered that what would she like. Knowing her, she probably won't want anything but still... what could she really need? A book of biking maybe?

And so here I stood in a bookstore, contemplative and chewing my lower lips. I moved from row to row, randomly snatching books from shelves and placing them in my shopping cart. This is what happens when you let loose a bibliophile in a book store. Names like- Art of War and Arthashastra were clear in my consolidation of choice but nothing of her interest so far.

I passed through the glass window and peered outside. An ancient Neem tree occupied its side and a young girl and boy stood underneath it, seeking shelter from the rain. Both were around 14 and wore school uniforms. I smirked as I leaned against the cool glass and watched them with interest- seeing beauty in an otherwise plain moment. But then my eyes blurred and instead of the girl stood her.

"Dave! Give me back my diary!" She shouted as she lunged for the notebook which currently Dave was waving in the air.

"No, little nymph. Why not jump a little more!" He laughed, now standing on his toes as Kathy tried to shove his hand down.

"Give it to me!"

"Why should I? Do you have some secret written in it? Let me read it."

I could hear the obvious interest in his voice, even though I could not see his face from behind the half opened door of the bookstore. I shuffled a bit behind, effectively hiding my face.

"You better give it back before I show your report card to your daddy!" She shouted and I held in a laugh. Always the spitfire,wasn't she?

"May I help you, boy?" An acne-faced book store employee appeared right in front of me and I stopped short. Why was she here? Was I in trouble, probably thinking that what a suspicious looking, shabbily dressed boy was doing in such a posh bookstore?

"Uh... no." I mumbled and hoped that she would leave at that.

"Is there anything you'd like to buy at all?" She pressed. I shuffled from one foot to another, had I been a billionaire then I would have protested against this lack of people skills and but here I was just a teenager with no special qualities, hence I stayed mum.

"Well...?" She started tapping her heels and I blushed. I did not have enough money to even get my shoes' soles sewn, let alone buy a single book in this store. Telling her that I am going to fetch my parents, I left in a hurry but in the process knocked over Dave, who stood just outside the door.

" Watch where you are going!" He shouted as he tried to remove the wet mud from his  pants. There, lying under the neem tree laced with the wet mud was her diary. A sob came from her but I just hid my face underneath my hood and left, knowing quite well that there was nothing I could do to help the girl I loved.

I blinked, coming back to the present.

"Do you have diaries?" I called out to the acne-faced employee.

"Of course,sir. Only the best." She flashed me a warmer-than-strictly-professional smile which I casually overlooked.

Passing through the last shelf I paused, there stuffed in a small place was a black velvet covered diary embroidered with golden thread.

"I'll have this." I ran my fingers across it spine and nodded at the paper quality.

"Of course, sir. Something else which has caught your gaze?" Her voice held an hopeful tinge.

"No. This will do for now. Thank you." Her face fell and I nearly smirked. Time changes so fast.

Later that day I found Dave talking over the phone.

"I want 5 boxes of Amedei chocolate sent to my address by tomorrow. Yes. Ahan. Thank you." The call was disconnected.

"I want to talk..."

"I am busy." Dave rolled his sleeves and started to leave.

"You are going to give her chocolates, same as every year and you know she will not appreciate it. I have this something", I placed the diary on the table top, " if you remember marring one years ago then give it to your Little Nymph." I casually got up and walked over to the door.

Dave's voice floated behind, maybe he had accepted another call.

"Oh yes, it is Kathy's birthday", he was saying, " She has a birthday wish but it is rather hard to comply with", a pause," she wants RJ V to call and wish her."

My hand on the door knob froze. I turned around.

Dave's eyes were watching mine. I smirked and nodded. The door opened and I walked down to the parking lot. I have a person to wish tonight.

A/N:- I finally have the pleasure to type on my keyboard. Finally I am able to log in via my PC!! Yay!!!! :) So please do give your reviews... how was this extract from RJ V's life?