Chapter 5

As we sit and eat our lunch quietly, Connor decides to bring up my bruises. "Sooooo...", he says while looking at his tray. "You never told me what happened to your face."

"I already told you. I ran into a wall.", I said hoping he doesn't notice that it was a big lie.

"And we've already established that those words are a lie.", he said with a smirk.

"What really happened?", he asked wiggling his eyebrows, which made me laugh and caused apple juice to come out of my nose.

I just stared at him and we both busted out in laughter. We were apparently being too loud because a bunch of other kids from the table across the room were looking at us.

"Oh lord. I was not expecting THAT to happen.", I said replaying the awkward but funny moment in my head.

"Well let me tell you something.", he said with a hilariously creepy smile.

"I wasn't expecting that either, my friend.", he said, which made me pause.

Did he just say that we were friends?! I've never had a friend before...

"Hey. Brooklynn? Helloooo? Anybody home???", he asked, looking concerned.

"What?! Hmmm? Oh yeah...", I said, snapping back to attention.

"How would you like to go out to dinner with me an Saturday night.", he said, making me choke on my food.

"Uhhhhh....yeah. I would love that. I just don't have anything really NICE to wear except maybe a sundress.", I said, hoping he would be okay with it.

"Oh. Yeah I'll just um... Make it a picnic on the beach. Is that okay?"

"Its perfect.", I answered him with a smile.

"See ya then Brooks.", he said, making me blush a little.

Okay fine. Maybe A LOT. "Later, Connor.", I said, feeling happy for once in my life.