Chapter 2

I wake up on a hardwood floor and get up. Well at least I TRIED to. My head hurts and I feel like I could shatter any minute. I stand up and get a funny feeling. Almost like I was supposed to remember something. Or someONE... Olivia! I stand up ignoring the pain and rush upstairs.

I open the door to her room and gasp.
She looked horrible. A bruise on her right cheek and her lip was also busted. She just looked at me and started to cry. I walked over to her and pulled her into a hug. We sat there on her bed for a solid 3 minutes just hugging. "I won't EVER let this happen to you again.", I said. "I can't wait to run away.", she replies.

"I agree. Get some rest, its 12:30p.m. and we have school tomorrow.", I say with a smile. "Okay.". I plant a kiss on her head and get up to turn out her light when I hear footsteps coming upstairs.
Shit. I tell Olivia to act like she's asleep and that I love her.

I rush down the hall to my room , belly flop onto my bed and act like I'm asleep.
Ughh. I forgot to turn out my light. I'll just say I forgot to turn it off when I "went to sleep". Ratty busted in and asked why the light was on. "I forgot to turn it off when I went to sleep", I answer her. "Do you know how much the electric bill is around here?! I figured since you're 13 you'd know how to turn out lights!", she yelled at me.

"Ratfa- I mean Mrs. Alten, I'm 14.", I tell her, hoping she doesn't count it as backtalk. "Was that backtalk I just heard, Brooklynn?", she asked me with slints in her eyes. "No ma'am.", I answer her. "Go to sleep!", she yells as she walks out of my room. I lay my head down and go to sleep.