Chapter Four: Steps

It had been days since Levi crawled out of his office. Hanji luckily got in a state of mind to cook and has been feeding him. I hadn't spoken to him since our quarrel, but I thought it'd be best to avoid the situation. I'm nothing but a nuisance to him, so why bother?

"Eren, you need to talk to him. He's been asking how you've been, never how I've been even though I'm standing right in front of-" Hanji stopped herself and then continued, "This isn't about me, though. Levi needs you. I've never seen him so torn up about stuff like this and he's depressed. More depressed than I was and I couldn't even cook."

"Because it wasn't your troop, Hanji."

"I realize that, but Levi has lost many, and he still has you. He wants to keep it that way."

It stayed silent after that statement. So silent, Hanji eventually got up and left.

* * *

It took me two more days after that conversation to finally knock on the corporal's door. It was a trek, but yet there was this excited feeling in my gut. Like I really wanted to see him all along. He opened the door and his eyes brightened, before he readjusted himself and back to his signature scowl.

"What do you want, brat?" He said monotonously.

"Nothing, sir." I turned on my heel to make a beeline to the end of the hallway, but Levi grabbed my arm and dragged me in the office.

It reeked terribly and it was quite obvious Levi hadn't bathed since before the battle.

"Eren, I regret what I said about you ruining my life. You didn't ruin it, you just made it more difficult."

"Well, I'm sorry sir."

"There's no need to be sorry. I don't know how to juggle emotions as well as being a commander, so one gets the shit end of my personality," Levi looked to the floor while speaking, "You're not a monster. I understand you tried to save them, and I respect that more than worlds can say, but never put yourself in a situation so reckless that we end up losing a major weapon."

"Is that all I am? Is that really all I am to you?" I snapped. This wasn't me talking. It was that feeling in my gut. It turned from excitement to a jealous rage.

"Of course not, Jaeger. You are so much more."

Our eyes locked gaze and we stayed that was for a long while.