Chapter 1: Life in The Compound

WHALE HELLO THERE! [refer to above picture] Welcome to The Commanders! My name is Isa and I'm the author of this story. I've worked really hard on it, and I'm hoping you love it. I'm taking this moment to get acquainted because I want you guys to feel like it's okay to comment giving your thoughts, so please do. Now, before we begin, let's set some ground rules.

This is my story, conceived, born, and raised in my mind. If you feel like stealing, just know that I will throw dishonor on you, dishonor on your family, and dishonor on your cow. (I will also contact Wattpad to have you removed :3)

Any similarities to real people, events, or other stories are purely coincidental and I ask that you not hold it against me. I apologize in advance if this occurs.

ENJOY!

Much love,
Isaaaaaaa💕

                                 The Commanders
                        by Isa Cardoso

    I sit in the very center of the meditation room in the fitness center. I sent a notification for Oliver about 10 minutes ago for him to come join me, however, I'm not so sure he will be here.

    My light skin looks paler than usual against the black mat, but, it makes my arms look more built so I put up with my white skin. I lay down and bend my knees so they are higher up. I close my eyes and take deep breaths, trying to forget about the world outside my own small kingdom. I hear the door open and close and I am brought back to reality when I hear a familiar gait coming toward me.

    "What are you doing?" Oliver asks critically.

    "I'm meditating! Now shut up and let me be one with my soul!" I snap.

    "Your soul will miss out on today's meal if you don't get up!"

    "Food? Oh, screw this!" I respond. I push myself up off the floor and sprint, racing Oliver up every long hallway that isn't supplied with a watch window. Whenever we get to a watch window we immediately stop and stand up straight with our hands folded behind our backs, the way the Guidelines say to. We watch the oval-shaped glass partition and anticipate the beady eyes looking through at us. The rover records from the moment it senses movement to the time it can no longer sense it, as a security precaution. The bulletproof window is slightly tinted, making it impossible to see anything but the rover's white eyes.

    When we finally reach the dining center, everyone's already eating so we aren't allowed to go in. Instead, we go to the market to get the frozen version of whatever they're having. We go back to my pent house and eat the glorious treats. We sit in my bedroom talking, reliving the events of today. He sits at my side, his head on my shoulder like a sad child. He normally does that, ironically, when he's happy.

    We began dating after years of awkwardness between us. We've always had an attraction to each other, but neither of us ever admitted it. He leans in to kiss my cheek and I let him, as I have been lately. He's taller than me, hence the reason for him resting his head on my shoulder. He knows I dislike being made small, especially in the world we live in, so filled with technological advancements. His dark blue eyes remind me of the time during summer, in which he and I went to the river and sat for hours on end, throwing pebbles in, not to make them skip, just to admire the quiet that we don't get in our modern world.