Chapter 5: Please

"Carter," he says. He seems to search for something more to say, but physically cannot. He has a look on his face that I cannot describe. All I can say of it is that it is definitely not the face of someone caught in the act.

"I can't believe you," I say, trying my hardest to stay sane in this moment where my entire world came crashing down.

"Wait..what?" the green says. Her voice is deeper than I would've expected by looking at her, but it's still very feminine. I've never met anyone with the level of posture that I have, but she definitely has surpassed my standards. Her long golden hair makes me think that Oliver might not like my wavy, voluminous, deep brown hair. I love my hair, but maybe he likes hers more.. "Oliver, is this Carter?" she asks.

"Yeah," he replies, but looks as though he has other, more important things on his mind. I wonder how she knows my name. Oliver walks toward me. "Carter," he says as he wraps his arm around my waist, "this is Lexi. She's helping me with a special project of mine. The project was what I had to do when I said errands."

I decide that I'll go along with this. For now. I'm planning on interrogating him after I make him remember why he's with me. I just need to figure how I'm going to do that. "Lexi," I say pleasantly, "it's nice to meet you." On the outside I seem to have no issues with her. On the inside, I'm plotting 47 different ways to tear this girl to shreds.

            "Lexi, now that you've met this lovely lady, do you mind if I go spend some time with her? I think we're done for the day," Oliver says. He looks at her for the first and last part of what he says. For the mid-part, he looks at me. His gaze is intense. It made me feel as though he didn't want to look at anyone or anything but me.

We head to Oliver's apartment, his arm still around me, holding me. I don't want him to let go. When we get there, he loosens his grip around me and transfers his hand to mine. We lay down in his bed and turn on his Glass. It's a screen, but it is nothing but glass with a thin metal bar on the edge, hence, Glass.

"Who is she?" I ask after laying for a long while in silence, watching old television shows on the Glass.

"Lexi?" Oliver sits up. "I told you she's helping with a project of mine."

I match myself up with Oliver and straighten. "What's the project then? I hate keeping things from each other Oliver! You're the only person I've never kept anything from. So why are you-"

Oliver cuts me off. He places his right hand between the back of my head and the headboard and kisses me. I don't want to pull away, but I do.

"Carter," he says intensely, "I'm with you. I don't want to be with her, if that's what you're worried about. And in time, you'll know what I've been working on."

"Oliver," I begin, not knowing what I'll say next. He stares at me intensely with his ocean eyes.

"God, you're beautiful," Oliver says in a voice that suggests he's in a trance. He suddenly perks up, breaking from his hypnotic state. "Carter, trust me on this one. I trust you. You trust me to keep a secret, right?"

"Yeah," I say softly, staring into his eyes.

"Then can you trust me to lo-" he stutters, ".. to be with you and keep you safe?" I caught him. There was only one thing I needed to hear and it was that he loves me. Although he didn't quite get it out, through his stuttering he almost admitted that he loves me. Almost.

I move closer to him and lean into him. He wraps one arm around me and pulls me onto his lap. I hold onto his arm. Because I'm about a foot shorter than him, I slide further down so my head rests on his chest. He holds me and kisses my head. I love you. I think. I look up at him and slide up so my lips are aligned with his throat. "Yes, I can," I say. Oliver leans down and kisses me. I love him. He just might love me. So, Oliver's project, please don't ruin that.