Chapter 3: How to Train Your Carter

"Perk up, Arms! If you think you're ever going to defend this compound against worthless Hybrids, you're not going to do that by giving up after 10 minutes!" Selena yelled. She's my trainer. She's been helping me become a force to be reckoned with since I was five. I didn't take training seriously, however, until my family's attack. After that, training became something I never, ever, skipped. She's an amazing trainer and she always keeps me motivated. I hate her guts.

"I've been lifting weights for 2 hours!" I grunt and put the 200-pound bar on the rack. "Come on! Can't we end just a little early today? We'd be done in 15 minutes either way," I argue.

"Exactly! What's 15 minutes going to accomplish in your social life? Nothing. That's why we're done with weights for today and for the last 15 minutes of your session, we're going to talk," Selena says. "I may be your trainer, but don't forget that I've watched you grow up. I like to know what's going on. So, what's happening with you?"

"I'd rather not have this conversation, if you don't mind. I actually have important lessons after this and if we're going to end early, I would much rather use the time to freshen up than tell my personal trainer about my personal life," I argue.

"Okay, than we won't end early. You have a choice. Talk to me or run on the track pad," Selena says, her sickening, 'I'm smarter than you' grin spread widely across her face.

"Track pad it is, then," I release the words, as I would a blow to Selena's face, and oh, the satisfaction it brings. With Selena still in shock by my choice, I walk to the track pad, a 4-foot mat that lies on the floor at the far left of my training room.

I step on the mat and the clear pad lights up underneath my feet, scanning me, searching for my identity in its database. Once it finds me, my face appears on the mat and it counts down, a beep signaling me to run once it reaches one. I run for 15 minutes, a beep signaling me to stop as it saves my progress. I step down off the training pad, gather my things, say, "Goodbye, Selena!" and walk out of the training room and to the pods, small round transportation devices that take us to entered destination, anywhere in the compound. They are stationed almost everywhere, but the largest amount of pods are located just outside of the Fitness Center and training rooms, so that after a long workout, we can sit and be taken to our destination while listening to soothing music to slow our heart rate.

Once I reach my room, I am greeted by Oliver, who grabs me by the hips when I enter, and waddles back, pulling me lightly to the bed. He sits on the edge of the bed, and signals for me to sit on his lap. I sit. "How was training?" he asks.

"As good as it can get when my trainer is Selena. I'll tell you this: The one thought that kept me going today was of you and I curled up in bed watching a movie," I say, just before I lean down and kiss him. He pulls me closer, keeping me from continuing, and rests his head on my shoulder. I soon pull away. "I have to go shower. How are you feeling?" I ask, suddenly realizing he hasn't complained.

"Much better, actually. Good enough that I'm able to go run a few errands, so when you get out of the shower, I probably won't be here," Oliver says.

"Alright," I say, "I'm glad you're back to okay health."

"Me too," he rubs his hand on my lower back in circular motions, signaling me to stand and continue on with my day. I do so, and we part ways, me to the shower, and him to wherever his errands take him.