Part 14: Envy

"gotcha again!" laurence giggled as he bumped his cart into the back of shane's, finally taking his mind off kier's confession long enough to have a bit of fun.

"damn!" shane laughed as he spun his cart around and chased after laurence, catching up with him and bumping him just in time to hear the bell ring. still giggling they climbed out of thier carts and walked towards the exit

"that was great" laurence smiled, placing a hand on shane's shoulder "it's cool to spend some time with you alone shane, we don't get to hang out enough"

"well we could go play a couple of games in the arcade" shane suggested "I'm sure drew and kier won't mind waiting a little longer"

a thought flashed through laurence's mind as he remembered he had left kier alone with drew. "what if he tries something with him" he asked himself biting his lip but quickly shook the thought out of his head "no!" he told himself "kier's my best friend, he'd never do that to me"

he forced a smile as he turned back to shane "yeah, why not"

and as the two walked towards the arcade, he hoped and prayed that he was right.

"let's kill some zombies!" shane shouted out with an excited gleam in his eye.

laurence picked up the plastic riffle, giggling at shane's enthusiasm as he pulled out a pound coin

"let's do it!"

as the two friends shot their way through a mass of zombies on the screen infront of them, Laurence began to talk about his relationship with drew

"seriously" he gloated "he's the best thing that's ever happened to me shane! he's really amazing."

shane stayed silent but felt the emotions build up. did he really have to stand there and listen to him talking about how great his relationship with drew was? more to the point, why did it bother him so much? sure he had a crush on him, her accepted that, but he'd never been this jealous over anything before

"pull yourself together shane" he told himself sterny "it's not like you'd even have a chance anyway"

"yeah, you guys are prety great together" he forced himself to say even though every word tasted bitter as it escaped from his mouth

"we are aren't we!" laurence replied proudly "I know it's early days yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I spent my entire life with him"

this was too much for shane to take as his hand slipped from the trigger and his character got devoured by zombies.

"ah tough look buddy" laurence giggled causing him to also lose concerntaction as his character disapeared under a pile on the undead and the words flashed up on the screen "GAME OVER"

"oh well" he smiled "we suck"

he turned to see a rather sunken looking shane and raised his eyebrow

"cheer up shane, its just a game! we can go again if you like?"

shane looked up at laurence and studied his face. he was handsome for certain, his eyes were golden brown and his smile could melt a thousand hearts

"no wonder he loves you" shane thought to himself "you're so much more handsome than I'll ever be"

he felt the envy bubble under the surface, like a volcano ready to erupt. he was his friend, but he hated him, how was that possible? of course he didn't hate him really, after all he was one of his best friends... his ONLY friends, but right there and then, or whenever he thought of him with drew, all he wanted was for him to dissapear, to get out of their lives so at least he would have a fair shot with drew.

"what are you saying shane?" he told himself "this isn't like you! mean thoughts like that aren't in your nature. laurence has been good to you, how could you think that??"

he didn't have an answer for that, and that's what frustrated him the most.

"Shane!" laurence said louder this time as shane snapped out of his inner battle with himself "mate are you alright?"

"umm" shane flustered feeling embarressed "yeah I.I'm just tired thats all, it's been a very overwhelming day."

"alright" laurence replied unconvinced, however, he thought it was best not to get involved as he had too much on his mind to start with "wanna go again?"

"sure" shane sighed as he turned his attention back to the screen, trying to silence the voice in his mind that constantly screamed "Why can't I be you?"