Alexandra

--Alexandra

My phone buzzed, again, and again, and again. I opened my eyes groggily, I slammed my hand down on the phone and it turned off. I hate that alarm clock. I forced myself to smile as I stretched out. I read somewhere smiling as soon as you get up makes the rest of your day better. I guess I needed that. I smiled again as I thought about it. I climber out of bed, literally climbed. I was on the top of a bunk bed. I tried hard not to wake up my brother. But he was a light sleeper.

"Alexandra?" A groggy Lloyd blinked up at me. I sighed and nodded.

"Yeah I'm up. You going to school today?" My brother Lloyd has had the flue for a few weeks. He shook his head.

"No. You gunna get my homework again?"

"Yeah I guess. Might as well, but hey you are going to school next week or I'm going to drag you there." He laughed but knew I was serious. His big brown eyes and dark brown hair mirrored mine. I guess I should mention he was my twin brother. But, it didn't matter much.

I went into my walk in closet and picked out an outfit. A short skirt, a light yellow blouse, and a long black jacket. I looked in a mirror and put my hair up in pig tails. A hat and combat boots to complete the look. I looked good. I smiled.

I peeked my head out of the door, and looked at my brother. Luckily he was asleep again. I slipped out the room and padded down the long hall. I knocked on each door I came to. Knock, knock, knock. Each door each time. I went down the main stair case and went into the dinning room. About 10 round tables greeted me. It was like the eating hall at a school. I guess it was used in about the same way.

You see I lived in the Bailey House for Orphaned Children.

Not what you were expecting right? I didn't expect it either. I lived there my whole life though so I guess I was used to it. I'm 14 now.

A bunch of tiny children came pounding down the stairs. All nicely dressed and washed. This was one of the richest orphanages in the country so it made sense.

"Hey Alexandra! Sit with me!" A boy a few years younger then me waved at me. I smiled and waved to my best friend in the whole world. I ran over to him and sat down next to him with a bump.

"Hey! What do you think is for breakfast?" I asked Griffin. He smiled and winked. I looked at him scared. "What did you do?" He laughed.

"I added a little something to one chicken burrito, don't get chicken." He smiled a big toothy smile. His soft freckly face hid behind glinting glasses. I was worried, but I wasn't going to miss the chance to hear someone scream. I nodded, and then after a moment smiled.

A big bang went off from the kitchen. Then the double doors opened up revealing a large silver cart filled with food. Each child quieted down as the cart went from table to table, each child grabbing what they wanted. Finally it got to us. There were four options for the breakfast burritos; chicken(no!), pork, eggs and bacon, and beans and eggs. I got the eggs and bacon. Griffin got pork. Milly, the lady that cooked all our meals, smiled at us. She wasn't at all suspicious.

After she left Griffin burst out laughing. "You looked sooo guilty! Hahaha I was hilarious!" I cracked a smile.

Then all of a sudden a scream echoed around the room. Everyone looked it the direction of it. It was Abby, a girl around my age, she got Griffin's surprise chicken burrito.

"Ack! There's freaking maggots in here!!!"

I was shocked, Griffin put MAGGOTS in the burrito. I glanced over to him. He looked at me "surprised", then he winked. Milly went over to Abby and started checking if that was true. When it was in fact confirmed she took Abby and the burrito to the kitchen. Once they left everyone started laughing. Including me. Most kids knew it was Griffin, he would have told them. Some got up and thanked him.

The kids were all very glad it wasn't them, and since Abby was the most disliked and awful girl here it wasn't surprising they enjoyed the prank. It felt good to be Griffin's best friend. Then, the doors opened again. Milly came out looking mean.

"Who did this? Who puts MAGGOTS in MY perfectly crafted burrito? Huh? Who did it?" Griffin raised his hand slowly. He knew if he didn't raise his hand, he would be branded as the prankster too scared to show his face. It was a serious brand, he could lose everyone's respect in the house. Milly looked at him frowned, for a second, then smiled. She walked over to him, her kind chubby face glistened with sweat. She leaned down and whispered.

"Thanks. That girl needed to be taken down a notch. If it was anyone else I would have been very mad." She winked and walked back into the kitchen. Everyone sat in the room and was too shocked to speak.

Griffin stood up on his chair and bowed. The room exploded with shouts and applause. He would always be respected. He locked in his place here.

Soon after I was on the bus riding to school. Every child in the orphanage, about 25, went to different schools. The little little kids stayed at the home. The 6-10 year olds went to a school way out of town for some reason, the three 14 and older kids went to the high school. There was me, Lloyd, and Abby. I was the only one who went to school that day. Griffin went to the middle school on the other side of the town.

I walked up to the school and saw Marty walking up to the school too. Marty was one of my older friends, he was 17. He was also amazing. I had this major crush on him, but I knew he didn't like me. I wasn't all that pretty anyway. I walked past him and didn't look at him. I didn't want to annoy him! And he didn't say anything to me anyway, why would it matter? I sighed, to bad I was a cowered and couldn't even talk to the person I had a crush on.