Chapter 14: In All My Dreams I Drown (Mark and Karine's POV)

***(Mark's POV)***

     Karine laid sleeping soundly in my arms. We had started watching a movie when she fell asleep halfway through. I didn't mind, I was just glad to be able to hold her. The idea that she had murdered anyone didn't seem to worry me. I suppose what did bother me was knowing that there were seven... well, eight people that had wronged her in such a way that she took drastic measures like that. I wasn't sure what to think but I knew that it wasn't going to change my mind. I was falling harder by day and even if she would be the death of me, I welcomed it.

     She had been home for four days now and was healing twice as fast as the doctors said she would. Neither of us really fully understood why the darkness did things the way it did but it had its perks. She still fought me when it came to taking the medication, which I expected. I kept up my promise and hid them from her. Even if she figured out that I was keeping the bottle in my safe she didn't know the combination. I didn't like having to do this but it was her wish so I didn't argue.

     Looking at my phone, I realized just how late it was. We were meeting with Ross and Holly for breakfast tomorrow and neither she nor I had been getting much sleep lately. I stroked her cheek. "Kari. Hey."

     "Did I fall asleep?" Her bright green eyes fluttered open as she sleepily ruffled my hair. I smiled, kissing her forehead.

     "Yes, babe." 

     She frowned, "Aww, I'm sorry..." 

     "It's okay. I just wanted to get you to bed since we have to be up early." She nodded in agreement, slowly standing. As I got up to get my blanket from the closet, she grabbed my hand. The moment her eyes met mine I could tell something was wrong. "Sweetie, are you alright?"

     "It's nothing... but will you please sleep in the bed with me tonight?" Her hand gripped mine tighter. 

      "As you wish." I winked, trying to lighten the mood with a Princess Bride reference. Her expression softened, the tension in her eyes fading off. I smiled, kissing her cheek. "Go get ready, I'll be in in a minute."

***(Karine's POV)***

     As I headed off to change clothes, I silently praised whatever gods were listening. For the last few nights I had told Mark I the reason I hadn't been sleeping was simply because I was in too much pain. I didn't like lying to him, but I didn't want him to worry either. The truth was that every time I fell asleep I had these terrible nightmares that left me waking up in tears. I took a chance falling asleep in Mark's lap like that but I thought maybe, just maybe if he was there they wouldn't be. It seemed to work so far, at least.

     It had been about two minutes when Mark came in. He grabbed something from his dresser, left again for a moment, then came back. I sat at the foot of the bed trying not to stare. There he was, five-foot-ten and abs for days, standing before me clad in just a pair of boxers. His hair messy from a long day, he was the epitome of gorgeous. If it weren't for the fact that I was still healing from that forsaken gunshot wound, I wouldn't have been able to resist. Gods, did he think that's why I wanted him to sleep next to me tonight? I did my best to shake the thoughts from my head. Not yet, right?

     "Ready for bed?" He grinned, setting his glasses on the nightstand as he climbed into bed, motioning for me to join him. I turned, crawling up to him and laying down to face him as he pulled the sheets over us before flipping off the light. I nearly gasped as his arm hooked around me, gently pulling me closer. Running my fingertips down his chest I smiled as I felt him shiver. "Do you know what you do to me, Karine?"

     "If it's anything like what you do to me then every second is magical, every touch a brand new sensation." I ran my fingers through his hair. The moment his lips touched mine I could tell he knew exactly what I was saying. I tried my hardest to restrain myself. I wanted, no, I needed him. I was just too afraid that letting go could mean messing all of this up. Mark seemed to realize my unrest, his lips moving to my cheek before pulling away slightly.