Chapter 12: When In Rome (Mark's POV)

"Excuse me, what?" I drew back in shock. Was Karine even capable of such a thing?

     "Look, let's talk somewhere more private about this, okay? She'll probably want to kick my ass if she finds out I told you but I feel like it's something you should know." Jon ran his hand through his hair. "The Grump office is nearby and I doubt anyone is there."

     "We'll just go to mine. Same building." I got up immediately and turned to toss the remainder of my burger in the trash. There was no way I could eat now, my stomach was in knots. "Come on."

     Jon followed me back to my car; the entire trip was silent until we made it into my office and closed the door. I leaned against the desk, staring at Jon. I didn't even know what to say. "What do you mean she already has blood on her hands?"

     "You should probably sit down for this..." He was amazingly calm considering the topic. I shook my head.

     "I'm fine. Now explain."

     He took a seat across from me, sighing as he stared at the floor for a moment before looking back up at me. "Three years ago, right after I met her and Arin. There was a guy named Jake. It wasn't that she couldn't control the darkness. She chose not to. And I don't blame her for what she did, not one bit. Considering what he did to her, if she hadn't've done it, I probably would've myself."

     "What did he do...?" I was afraid I didn't want to know, but I probably already knew too much anyway so there was no turning back.

     Jon sighed, making direct eye contact, causing me to see the dire look in his eyes. "He raped her then tried to make it look like she threw herself at him. His father was a retired officer so he had an in with the police force, which by the way is why she has a persistent distrust of cops. She felt like she had no other choice. She'll probably be the same way when she wakes up... I don't want her to do this again, Mark, but I don't think anyone is going to be able to stop her. I don't think I want to. I... I helped the first time because I wanted to make sure she was safe..."

     I could barely stand my knees were so weak. I suddenly understood so much more about Karine than I ever had before. Jon caught me as my legs gave out and helped me into a chair. "Why do terrible things happen to her like that? She doesn't deserve it." 

     "She has a bit of a bloodlust, so to her it gives her reason to justify quelling it. I know it's weird but to her it makes sense and I'm not going to sit here and judge her. Neither should you." Jon went over to my minifridge and grabbed a bottle of water for me. 

     "I'm not upset because she's killed before. I'm upset because she had to to begin with." I took slow sips of water, trying to calm down. The darkness was trying to take over and now wasn't the time to let it. "Have there been others than just the one?"

     "There may be, I don't know. That's something you'll have to talk to her about when she wakes. Just... don't do anything drastic, okay, Mark?" I barely heard him as I finally gave in.

      "I won't unless you consider helping her to be drastic." I looked up at Jon. He didn't waver, simply watching my eyes turn dark. "I'll do anything to keep her safe. If that means helping her murder someone, I'll happily oblige."

     "So this is 'Darkiplier,' eh?" Jon folded his arms and leaned against the wall. "And it's still you, just like it is with Kari?"

     "Still me. Just unafraid to do what needs to be done." I crossed my legs as I stared at him. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? I'll enjoy spilling that asshole's blood." 

     "Just be careful, Mark. I don't want you to get in too deep and then find out you're not able to handle it." Jon wasn't afraid of me. I wasn't used to this. Even Wade and Bob got a little weirded out by this side of me after all this time.