Chapter 10: Don't Say I Didn't Warn You

(Author's Note: Important message at the end of this chapter!)

     As we all filed out of the restaurant I glanced at Mark. It was like nothing about me could faze him. It was odd to me, and at this point I was still concerned that something would come up that would scare him off. I shook it off as we climbed into Mark's car. "Hey, mind if we go back by your place so I can change? If I'm going to celebrate I wanna do it right."

      "Sure, just text Arin and tell him we'll be a little late. Just don't take forever," he teased. As we pulled up to his place, he tossed me his keys and kissed my forehead. "I'll wait here."

     Luckily it didn't take me very long to sort through my pile of belongings and find what I was looking for. I settled on a black mini skirt and Lamb of God tank that I had cut ages ago to show off the 'perfect' amount of cleavage. The tank showed off the bruise on my shoulder, but I decided to go with it anyway. I dug through my jewelry case, grabbing my spiked choker. My fingers lingered for a moment over the silver ring Jon had given me when he left for New York. His words rang in my mind. 

     'Just because we're not together doesn't mean I don't love you. I will always love you and this ring is my promise. A promise to always be your friend. A promise to always be here for you to lean on and to support you no matter who you love.'  

      Austin never let me wear it. The moment he found out Jon had given it to me he told me to get it out of his sight so I hid it from him. I felt a tear form in my eye as I slipped it on for the first time in months. I ran a finger over the inscription: Always - J. He was so supportive even now. I couldn't have asked for a better best friend.

     Taking a quick look in the mirror, I realized the outfit was missing something. Running into Mark's room I grabbed his red flannel shirt, throwing it on and turning up the sleeves. I looked fucking hot. I headed out, giving my best sexy smirk as I opened the car door, watching Mark's jaw drop as I tossed him his keys. "Whatcha think?" I did a quick 360 turn before getting in. The air in the car seemed to change immediately as he leaned over the console, his dark eyes fixed on me in a sultry gaze.

     "Hmm, what do I think?" He caressed my cheek, his face mere inches from mine. The darkness rose within me as if he was beckoning it's presence. "I think you need to be careful, love. It's taking everything I have not to have my way with you right here, right now."

     "What if I wanted you to give in to that desire?" I ran my hand slowly down his chest, tilting my head slightly as if inviting him to take me. His thumb traced my lip, causing me to tremble but his lips met mine only for a moment before he whispered words I didn't want to hear.

     "Not yet." He pulled away, starting the car. I leaned back and sighed. The darkness evaporated, leaving me with an emptiness yet to be filled.

     "And you say I'm a tease." 

     "I'm sorry, Kari." Mark chuckled as he drove. "I promise I have my reasons."

     I smirked, playfully punching his shoulder. Gods, he was a pain.

***Mark's POV***

     She was absolutely stunning to begin with, but there was just something about her in my favorite shirt that drove me wild. The darkness had made it that much more enticing to give into my lust it really did take every bit of willpower I had not to let it happen. Every kiss, every touch sent me flying. She made me want her even when she wasn't trying. 

     But I wanted to wait. I was deathly afraid that giving in now would lead to this solely being about sex and the thought of that left a distaste in my mouth. Karine meant way too much to me to risk it. It didn't help that the dark energy seemed to fan the flames. It had never affected anything like this before. I didn't even know what to think of it. Part of me wanted to believe it was a sign, but I didn't want to get my hopes up.