Ch.1 Spilled Wine (J)

UNEDITED!

A Picture of Lillian.

___________

"Are you even listening?" Linus Maverick yelled at his oldest son, chubby fingers gripping the magazine tight.

Jericho buttoned up his white dress shirt, before pulling on his suit jacket and grabbing his briefcase off the kitchen bar. "I don't have time for this."

Linus slammed the magazine on the marble counter, his face red with anger. "I talked to that damn pretty boy, you call your assistant. You don't have any cases today, so you'll sit down and explain to me why you're in the fucking newspaper again."

Jericho lazily looked at the headline of the magazine, his left eyebrow raising just slightly.

"Billionaire Jericho Maverick spotted with a baby on his arm. Is the child secretly his?" Jericho read out quietly, afterwards meeting his father's accusing eyes.

"Like I said, I don't have time for this nor do I have time for you. Get out my house before I call security." Jericho remarked, dumping the magazine in the trash without a second thought.

Linus looked ready to jump over the dinning table and knock some sense into his son. "Why can't you be like your sister and stay out of the newspaper for a fucking week?! You are just like your brother, always causing a ruckus. I can't believe you-"

Jericho didn't have the nerve or the time to listen to his father's weekly rant about his behavior. Linus didn't know anything about Jericho, besides the bullshit the press published. The baby photographed had belonged to one of Jericho's clients.

Jericho grabbed his coat off of the hook, before stepping into the elevator that led to the lobby of his apartment building, Linus left behind in the expensive penthouse. Reaching the spacious lobby, Jericho was greeted by Tony the receptionist.

"Mr. Maverick, working this weekend?" The Jamaican man asked, his dark eyes flickering to Jericho's leather briefcase.

"It's not work, if you love it." Jericho chuckled.

It was true and Jericho loved being a lawyer. Not because the job paid well, but the happiness you could provide for your clients. The feeling of winning a case, was indescribable and seeing the smile on your client's face was even better.

"Good luck with the case, not that you need it though." Tony replied, a large smile on his square shaped face.

Jericho Maverick had never lost a case, and in return was very sought after.

"You can never have too much luck on your side." Jericho laughed lightly, while glancing at the clock on the wall behind Tony.

"I need you to change the code for my apartment once my father leaves. He is not to have access anymore." Jericho stated, slipping his toned arms into his coat.

Tony hit a few keys on the keyboard. "Of course, Mr. Maverick."

"Thank you, Tony." Jericho thanked the man before, leaving the large apartment building and going down to the car garage. He passed the many expensive cars of his neighbors, before unlocking his own and getting in.

Jericho pulled out of the underground garage, ignoring the flashing of the cameras. Not too much later, Jericho was driving on the busy streets of Los Angeles, making his way to one of the poorer neighborhoods of the city. He had agreed to take on a simple case, involving a family owned restaurant and a few insurance problems.

Reaching the restaurant, Jericho parked his car across the street and locked the door. He walked into the small building with confident strides, his tailored suit and expensive haircut catching the eyes of the diners.