Chapter 26

I ran fast , my handcuff swinging out of my sleeve. What was that? What was that? Why did I scare him like that? What was that? What was that?

 I turned left at a white building, and hid behind it. I let out a long breath. Wh-where was my duct tape? I had my duct tape and now I don't. Sweat dropped from my hair to the floor. I ripped opened the purse. I.D. Lipstick. Papers stapled together with different dates. And..duct tape. Duct tape? The old guy...everything that came out of his mouth were just lies. Mindless distractions to keep me conversing while he switched the wallet with my duct tape. He probably saw that purse before I did. The second I said I was doing something wrong, he must have realized I was after the purse too. He knew the whole time.

    "Aghhh!" I yelled, throwing the purse in the air.

 A few people turned to look at me, the crazy kid yelling. I look insane, I thought. Why is it that I always look insane to other people? I sat down on the concrete sidewalk and hit it with my fist.

    "Why did I scare him like that?" I muttered.

 It was because I wanted him to be scared. Because I was sick of all this about me being the small insignificant one the Ecators can find in a second. I wanted to be the one in power.

    "I could find another purse." I mumbled. "I just need to-"

 Sirens screeched in the distance, and in no time the noise was booming in my ears. I stood up. Someone saw me grab the purse and run. And if the police got to me it would only be a matter of time before the Ecators snatched me up and dumped me in their little care center. Or worse.

 I began running again. I turned around, only to see the police car stop a few yards away from me. Two men walked out, and began pursuing me on foot.

 I turned to the street. I had to get off the sidewalk. I ran across it, looking back, only to see a huge truck a foot behind me. The truck, obviously not noticing me, continued driving.

 The first part of me that got hit was my chin as the truck smashed into me. I flew a few feet until I smashed through another moving car's windshield. The red car stopped immediately, and a man ran out of it, scared out of his mind. Cold blood from my nose dripped into my mouth, tasting like warm metal. The policemen soon came over.

    "Call an ambulance!" I heard one of them say. Then I faded into darkness.