Chapter 7

Morningshine padded into her leader's den, seeing her frail mother laying in her nest. All of her ribs showed, and her eyes were sunken and dark. She smiled to herself.

That crowfood eating pest deserves to beg for mercy! She thought. Crouching down beside her, the tiny clouds of dust settled on Morninshine's paws. She licked her mother, fighting back the urge to gag with disgust, partially at the overwhelming stench of fever, but at the fact that she would make such a gesture willingly to her cruel mother. She faked a honey sweet voice.

"Need anything, mom?" She asked. Her paws tingled with anticipation. She longed to see the blood dripping from her neck, the lifeless stare in her icy blue eyes. She deserves it. Morningshine thought with anger.

Aquastar shook her head. "No, I'm-" she broke off into a fit of coughs. Morningshine took this moment to catch her mother in the neck. Aquastar stared up at her in confusion. "Morningshine, what-?" She began. Morningshine sank her claws slowly into her throat.

"I'm finally giving you what you deserve!" She snarled, teeth bared and bloody. "You hated me as a kit! You ignored me! I heard you that one day! And I'll never forget it!" Tears of anger were in Morningshine's eyes. "All my life, I tried to make you proud! But you only saw Splashpaw! Now you will feel what it feels to have someone you love hate you so much!" She ended her words, spitting on her mothers face as one last act of hatred, before taking her paw and bringing it down on her neck, snapping it in two.

Morningshine didn't even glance at her lifeless body, she just kicked dirt over it and stepped coldly outside. She leaped up to the highrock, her mother's blood still on her paws.

"Cats of DewClan! Aquastar is dead. You will answer to me, now. I am to be addressed to as Morningstar!" She growled.

"I will get my 'nine lives' tomorrow." She spat. She said nine lives like it was a stupid child's game. Of course she would never get her nine lives. She didn't believe in the stars.

She looked at her sister's shocked face. "Dawnmist is now my deputy." She said flatly before leaping down. A wide, bloodstained grin spread across her face as reality kicked in.

Finally.

I am Morningstar.