Chapter 8

Morningstar sat in her den, enjoying her first tastes of absolute power. She purred. It's perfect... She thought to herself.

Mapleshade materialized in front of her, claws unsheathed. Morningstar narrowed her eyes. "Mapleshade, what is going on?!" She growled. Mapleshade leaped up, catching Morningstar in the throat.

"Did you really think I would help a cat from a Clan? You are more pathetic than I thought!" She sneered, tightening her grip on Morningstar. "I only helped you to make the clan weak! Now I can destroy it!"

Morningstar's lungs screamed for breath, and she reached her back paw under her, trying to catch the rib bone from a kill she had made a few moons ago. She finally caught it, and gripped it tightly.

"You won't destroy anything!" Morningstar snarled. "Don't forget I know you're weak spot!" She tensed up, gripping the bone. "I know your secrets!" She suddenly brought the bone up, stabbing Mapleshade in the gut. But Mapleshade kicked it away before she could drive it in fatally, and Morningstar took the chance to duck under her former mentor, and slithered out behind her.

She kicked on the stone behind her, twisting faster, to leap over her and land on her dappled back. Digging her long claws in, Morningstar pushed down and brought her claws along her back, cutting deeper than any normal cut. Mapleshade howled in anger and threw Morningstar off, dazing her. While she recovered, Mapleshade pinned her again.

"Not as easy as you thought, huh?" She mocked, smirking. Morningstar writhed under her strong, sharp claws. In response, Mapleshade curled them tighter around her. "You worthless rat! I'll see you tortured by all the cats you wronged. I'm sure they'd be happy to avenge their old leader!" She placed a claw on her throat, slowly inching it up her neck. Morningstar felt panicky, until her kicking legs hit something hard. She almost smiled to herself.

"You traitor! You taught me betrayal is sweet, but it is not! Not when you were my teacher! You were my mother when I had none!!!" Morningstar snarled, her eyes blazing. She inched her foot closer to the bone.  "And now you treat me worse than dirt!"

Mapleshade tightened her grip on Morningstar. "Don't use my own quotes on me!" She bellowed, but before she could do anything, Morningstar grabbed the rib and stabbed her old mentor, blood spraying the ground. Her mentor gasped, and collapsed, bleeding out. Her fur sparkled, and began to fade, and Morningshine watched coldly, tail twitching.

One less traitor in the world.