[13]

The entire house smelled like gasoline. Harold's voice carried throughout the house as Magnus stepped inside, holding Alec's hand, keeping him behind him.

Alec hadn't expected this.

"--irrationally."

"Irrationally?! You think this is irrational? Just you wait--" She stopped mid-shout, noticing her son. They stood in the kitchen, her on one side of the counter, Harold on the other, his hands raised as if they could stop the fire from reaching him. She wore a white dress which whipped wildly around her from the stormy wind that was coming in through the open windows. It made her seem ghostly. "Magnus?" she finally croaked.

"Hey," Magnus said. His grip on Alec's hand got tighter. "What are you doing?"

"You're back early," she stuttered.

"Well, if you haven't noticed, Ma, it's pitch black outside. It's going to storm any second now."

She was silent, watching him with conflicted eyes.

"Mom, what are you doing?" Magnus asked, gesturing to the butane lighter in her hand. Her finger was on the trigger.

"Put it down," Magnus ordered. "Let's go. We can get out of town. We'll go back to Brooklyn."

"I don't want to go back to bloody Brooklyn!" she screeched. "I want him dead! He cheated on me and he was afraid I'd find out!"

Alec and Magnus looked at Harold. Magnus had never sent the picture so how. . .

"I saw the credit card bill," she seethed. "A thousand dollar ring that's two sizes too small? Please!"

"Mom, you'll end up in jail!" Magnus snapped. "This is insane. You're lucky no one's called the cops yet! Besides! You'll kill me and Alec if you do this. So put it down."

"I just want him," she said, pointing the lighter at Harold.

"Get out, Harold," Magnus ordered.

"If you move, I'll light this place up," Magnus' mom retorted. Harold was stuck now.

"Alec, go," Magnus whispered.

Alec wasn't moving either.

"Alec, please," Magnus begged.

"No," Alec said.

Magnus turned his focus back to his mom, in all her ethereal beauty. Outside, lightning was beginning to crash again.

Magnus let Alec's hand go and took slow, measured steps towards her.

"Lighter," Magnus demanded, his hand outstretched and expecting.

She looked at her son, and Magnus knew that she was fighting with herself, fighting against the alcohol and the pain and the need for revenge.

And she dropped it, the lighter clattering to the floor. Magnus dove to catch it, but the spark still caught.

Purposeful or accidental, it had happened. It was happening.

He skittered backwards, Alec pulling him back to his feet.

"Mom!" Magnus screamed as the flames spread. They climbed up her dress. Harold was scrambling for the front door, grabbing Magnus' other arm.

The three men fled the house, knowing that Miss Bane was beyond saving.

As well as the beach house.

........

It might as well have been the beginning of the summer again because Alec was sitting across from his parents, yet again, getting lectured from his father.

Did he know the fire was going to start?

Did he know Magnus' mother was going insane?

How could he just stand there?

Why didn't he get help?

Why didn't he get out of the house?

Why did he go in the first place?

And "I felt like I was doing the right thing" was no longer the correct answer.

So he took the lecture and got sent to bed, after calling Kate and telling her he wouldn't be coming in to work.

He lay awake for awhile, contemplating it all.

His eyes were just starting to close when there was another knock on the window.

This time, Alec didn't hesitate, opening the window and closing it the second Magnus was through to minimize the amount of rain that got in.

Magnus grabbed Alec's bath towel which hung on the bed frame, wiping himself down.

"Hi," Alec said, softly, sitting back on his bed.

"Can you parents hear us?" Magnus asked, slipping out of his shoes.

"They're on the second floor and with this rain I can barely hear you," Alec said. Magnus sat beside him. "Where's your mom?"

"The police put her in the drunk tank for the night," Magnus said. "Harold's paying a hefty amount to keep this off her record, which is nice off him. Would you be surprised to know that the cops in this town are used to taking bribes?"

"Not at all," Alec said, putting his hand on Magnus' knee. "And what about the house?"

"Harold's getting it cleaned. Should be fine in the morning," Magnus said, leaning towards Alec.

"And where does Harold think you are?"

"Harold doesn't care anymore," Magnus said, sighing. "As far as he sees it, I costed him a relationship, $10,000 in house repairs and $10,000 to keep my lunatic of a mother out of jail."

"And Brooklyn?"

"Worst comes to worst, I tell my mom I'm going to live on my own and that if she doesn't pay for it, I'll do blah, blah, blah. . ."

His voice trailed off and with every word, his face got closer to Alec's in the dark until their lips were just barely brushing.

Magnus' hand found Alec's cheek, and tenderness was replaced with eagerness. He moved quickly, his legs straddling Alec's hips, slowly laying him back on the bed.

"My parents," Alec protested, though lamely.

"Then be quiet," Magnus ordered.

And the thunder and lightning would be the only sound the Lightwood parents would hear all night.