Chapter 23

23

Paige Hartley

I came home in a panicked state, burst through the front door at my aunt's, forgot to take off the wig on my way. She rushed out of the kitchen, a towel in her hands and an apron around her waist.

"What did you do?" She demanded immediately. I shook my head, rushing passed her. She didn't let me go, ripped off the wig on my way. I stopped.

"Paige, what's going on?" She insisted. I took a deep breath.

"I have to go." I said. "There no time to wait on any money, I have to go." I persisted. She narrowed her eyes, trying to figure out what was going on.

"You have to talk to me." She said. I shook my head again.

"I can't. You know it's safer not to. Not for my safety this time, but yours." I didn't wait for a reply and rushed up the stairs. I packed my things, this time taking more than just what I brought. I wasn't trying to make a statement this time.

"It's always been for both of us, Paige." Aunt Loraine said softly. "What are you going to do? There's nothing for you without a little money. You still haven't graduated high school." No job, I knew what she was saying.

"I have a back-up plan, but I really have to go now." I told her. I didn't know why I was panicking. Boris saved my ass, two of the people who wanted me dead or worse were no longer an issue, but I knew I couldn't stay here. This felt like the end of something, even though I wasn't sure what that was yet.

"A back-up plan? Paige?" She gripped my arm when I was about to run passed her again, stopping me. "What are you doing? Am I even going to see you again?"

"Yes." I breathed without thinking, it's what I wanted. "After a while, when it's safe again."

"Okay." She handed me my wig. That was good, I was going to need it. I kissed her cheek before pulling her in for a bone crushing hug.

"Thank you, for everything. We're a family again, and I'm not going to ruin it." I promised. Another kiss, and I was gone. I grabbed my phone and started calling.

"I'm going to be honest, I'd never expected to be the first one you call after the disappearing act you pulled." An amused female voice answered. I hated her voice, I wanted to drag her through the phone and choke her.

"Veronica." I said sweetly. "Let's meet somewhere." She snorted.

"Why?" She asked with complete disdain.

"O, I don't know. We could discuss your involvement with 'officer' Neilson or Shawn." I taunted. She better nog hang up on me. She was quiet for q couple of seconds.

"I don't know what you're talking about. My only involvement with officer Neilson was involved the attack in my home. And the thief of our marriage ring." She was trying to get under my skin, but I had bigger worries than whether her and Sebastian were together or not. Though my mind tended to stray.

"Well, I have proof that something much shadier is going on, and you might want to discuss it privately, instead of with Sebastian and the cops." I knew Sebastian's name was the one that did the trick. She didn't fear the police.

"What do you want?" She hissed down the phone. I shrugged, she couldn't see, but I had a feeling she was familiar with my attitude.

"Remember when you told me you'd help me on my way if I ever wished to leave town?" I asked.

"That was before you left Sebastian." She said sternly.

"I can always come back, steal him away again." It was an empty threat, but she was too possessive to see.