Chapter 2 - part 2

2.2

Just as I slammed my door closed, it opened again. I froze in fear of who it might be, but was comforted by Mrs Boggs’ voice.

“Are you okay, darling?” She asked me. I shrugged, not looking at her and rummaging through a drawer without purpose. “Listen, do you mind going in town to buy some items for tonight. There are still some ingredients needed.”

“Sure.” I said.

“Good. I’ll give you a list. You can shop a little if you want to, just be back by four. And put some other clothes on dear. Those do nothing for your pretty little figure.” She motioned towards my baggy outfit. I grimaced and nodded, not willing to argument right now.

“Okay.” I replied, mainly because the clothes were dirty from cooking. I opted for some skinny jeans and a pretty tight of the shoulder top. I looked at myself in the mirror and literally told myself that I wasn’t fat. How dare he judge me like that? I put on a pair of black high heels, brushed my long dirty blond hair, and put eyeliner and mascara around my dark brown, big eyes. There was a knock at my door, and before I could respond, it opened. A whistle echoed through the room.

“Going somewhere?” Connor stood in the doorframe, making my mood darken.

“It’s rude not to knock.” I snapped.

“Yeah well, I was hoping to catch you naked.” I couldn’t help myself when he said that. I broke out in a grin.

“You naughty boy.” I was finally starting to feel like myself again. His smile became even bigger and he winked.

“You know it, doll. If you let me, I’ll prove how naughty I can be.” He smirked.

I threw my head back and laughed, before letting out the classic line: “In your dreams.” He grinned.

“So, Mrs Boggs asked if I could give you a ride to town. Would you mind if I accompany you?” He asked. It felt like the day Mrs Boggs gave me that blue dress. Nothing happened, but I still felt like she was trying to tell me something. I had seen how disappointed she was on Wednesday when my new clothes arrived, and I no longer had to wear the dresses she gave me. They all had one thing in common: they were innocent, with just a spark of mischief.

“I would like nothing more.” I replied while walking up to him. Before slipping out the door, I took my money and put it in my bra, while he was watching. I wasn’t too worried about my money. The guy was obviously loaded. “Let’s go, shall we?” I shot him my most charming smile, and we exited my room.

He nodded and murmured an agreement. He then held out his arm to me, and I hooked my mine behind his. It was the perfect way to make sure I didn’t trip in my ridiculously high, but beautiful heels.

“You look gorgeous, by the way.” He mentioned. “I can’t wait to see what you’ll be wearing tonight.”

“Tonight?” I asked confused. A slight blush tinted my cheeks pink.

“At the party.” He explained. My mouth formed an o-shape.

“I’m not going.” I said, keeping the bitterness out my tone. He shot me a puzzled look, with his eyebrows adorably scrunched up in confusion. “I work here, and I can only attend the parties if Seb- Mr Holt asks me to work.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He said. “You’ll be my guest.” I thought of it as an excellent way to spite Sebastian.

“Are you asking me out?” I hinted with a playful look.

“I guess I am. So miss-“ he looked at me with furrowed eyebrows.

“Hartley.” I provided.