Chapter 3

3

“So you’re saying that I should piss him off as much as possible, to find out what’s bothering Sebastian?” I asked with raised eyebrows. “That makes no sense at all.” It already took me awhile to know what Connor was trying to tell me. He refused to tell me the reason why Sebastian was constantly so angry with me. I probably didn’t even know them himself.

“Yes, it does!” He said. “Just do it.”

“What exactly am I supposed to do?” I exclaimed. “It seems that everything I do angers Sebastian, and I’d like to make my stay here as comfortable as possible by staying away from him.”

“Aw come on.” He said. “Just do it.” He then repeated.

“Do what?” I exclaimed again. He smiled devilishly.

“Date me.” His answer made me grab onto the door and stare at him with wide eyes.

“That’s supposed to make him angry?” I asked disbelievingly. He shrugged.

“Or walk around naked when his friends are home.” I rolled my eyes at his playful answer.

“Yeah, I’m so not ever doing that again.” I laughed softly and pushed his arm. I checked the rear view mirror for the hundred time in the fifteen minute ride to check if Shawn wasn’t following us.

“Too bad.” He murmured softly as we drove through the gates towards the mansion. “I certainly liked what I saw.” He grinned cheekily at me. I rolled my eyes and gave him a playful push. He stopped in front of the big entrance of the mansion, and we both got out. He gave his keys to a one of Sebastian’s employees, who took the car to the underground garage.

Just like this morning, the employees in the house were rushing around to get the place ready for the party. Every room – even the ones that were never used – were being cleaned. I went into the kitchen to say hi to Bobby, and Mrs Boggs, who was handing out orders in the kitchen. Connor went his own way. There was also other kitchen staff who I greeted, but there was no one who I had really gotten close with, except for Bobby of course.

“Are you going to get ready?” Mrs Boggs asked. I looked at her in surprise.

How did you know? “What do you mean?” I asked innocently. She smiled knowingly, and said: “Connor was very excited.”

I almost asked her if he told her that I agreed to go to the party with him, but instead opted for oblivion: “I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I managed to get a mysterious smile on my face, before leaving the kitchen.

“Better hurry! The party starts in an hour and a half!” Mrs Boggs yelled after me. I chuckled loud enough for her to here and went to my room. Getting ready was something new to me. When I was fifteen, I didn’t go to parties yet, and in the three years I lived on the streets, there weren’t exactly occasions to dress up. So, I took my time showering, shaving my legs, and washing my hair. I cut my nails, filed them, and polished them. I brushed my hair, and dried it upside-down to get more volume.

I chose to wear a black floor length dress I bought today. It had a sweetheart neckline, a split that went to mid-thigh and the dress was decorated with sequins. It would have been fairly innocent, if the split wasn’t that wide. Or if the dress wasn’t skin-tight. I paired it with my new silver sandals, silver bracelets, earrings, rings, and a gorgeous necklace.

It was already a quarter past seven when I was finally ready with applying make-up, and Connor wasn’t here yet. Just when I was about to search for him, there was a knock on the door. I opened the door, and my eyes fell upon a very handsome Connor. He was dressed in a classic black suite with a bow tie. His blond hair was combed neatly, and his shoes were shining brightly. His mouth fell open when he took me in, which was of course the desired effect. I wildly smiled at him as he whistled.