Lost Keys and Huge Maps

A/N

So, I added this chapter to illustrate the time Kiwi and Leo have known each other. On the day of the route-planning, it's bee 2 weeks since their first note conversation, and they speak everyday. I didn't put every minute of her life because it wasn't neccessary to the plot, but if you think I should add more I'll edit. Let me know!

LOVE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the next two weeks, Leo cropped up most days. Our conversations were pretty awkward at first- I mean, what do you say to someone who's breaking into your house just to talk? 

I usually let him lead, and I just talked back. To be honest, after the first few awkward, tentative interactions, I discovered that we had a lot in common. Even though I knew there must have been something weird going on with the way he left the notes, ignored it. The truth was that I wasn't one to freak out that easily, and he'd gained my trust. He was a really nice guy, and I enjoyed talking to him. Soon, I realised that Leo's conversations were the most interesting part of my day.

I'd only ever felt connected with one person- My best friend Sienna. She really understood me, and Icould tell her anything. I realised pretty quickly that Leo gave me the same feeling. It was the little things he did that made me like him. Like last tuesday...

*****************************************************************************************************

I was rushing through the house since Sienna wanted to meet up and go shopping. I was late and could NOT find my keys. I'd been running around for ten minutes now, searching everywhere, but with no luck. 

"ARGH!" I shouted, clutching my hair, pulling it slightly in frustration. 

Where WERE they?! They were THERE, on the little table in the hall, yesterday! I grabbed them from there when I went grocery shopping. I just couldn't remember where I put them when I got back...

A loud crash interrupted my thoughts, and I jumped. I went to investigate the noise, finding a book on the floor, with a note on top. 

'Go to the fridge'

I was confused, but went anyway. I rushed, still conscious that I was late and didn't really have time for talking with him right now. There was a piece of paper on the fridge, held on with a magnet. 

'Top shelf, by the ketchup. I don't know how you managed it either- you're clearly a crazy person.'

I opened the fridge, puzzled, only to find my keys on the shelf- next to the ketchup. I gasped, grabbing the freezing keys and thinking about why they'd be in my fridge.

I slapped myself on the forehead, groaning. I'd come home and gone straight to unpack the groceries, and I must've put them down there...

I looked around, smiling.

"Thanks, Leo, you're a lifesaver." I went to the hallway, putting my shoes on. I opened the front door, turning back quickly and giving a small wave to the empty hall (He could have been anywhere) and calling a quick goodbye. 

On the way to the bus stop, I thought about how nice he must be to waste his time making sure a ditzy girl found her keys.

************************************************************************************************

I smiled to myself, coming back to the present and sitting on the floor. I had my huge world map, spread out in front of me on the floor. I shifted so I was laying on my tummy, leaning on my elbows. The map was covered in post-it's that I'd spent hours writing. They said the places I'd most like to go, and what times were best to visit. They also said things like climate and places of interest. This map had been my project for a month now, and I loved it. I could think about all the places in the world that I wanted to see while I worked on it, and it made me happy.

a piece of paper landed next to me, and I picked it up. I didn't bother looking around for Leo, since experience told me I wouldn't see him. 

'What's this? Talk me through it? :)'

I laughed quietly.

"Ok. Umm... these mark the places I want to go. The post-it's say the climate, and the best time to visit. Stuff like that. I know that by now, pretty much every country has a post-it, but after I was done with the obvious ones, I looked up the ones I knew nothing about. Then I found out that every country has something I want to see. This is my way of keeping track." I spoke to the air, not feeling silly because I knew he was listening. I fixed my gaze on the map, knowing he wouldn't give me a note if I was looking. I heard the whisper of paper hitting the floor.

'That's amazing. You want to go to all these places? It's incredible.'

"Thanks. You can help me- if you want." I added shyly, trying to cover the hope and burning curiosity I was feeling. Almost immediately there was another note.

'Haha, Kiwi. I told you, you're not ready.'

"According to you..." I grumbled, fiddling with my pen. Another note.

'Trust me. But I can help you from here. How about we plan you a route? I see that you want to visit all the states; Want me to help plan a road trip route?'

I smiled at the idea. I had a really cheesy road trip idea- a 'lone wolf' kind of scenario. I would travel the states, experiencing everything I wanted to with letting insecurity getting in the way because nobody would know me.

"Sure, if you want." I said. "If you won't get bored."

I felt the note brush my arm, and I read it quickly.

'Even if I did think this was boring, it's clearly important to you. Plus, if you're doing it too, I'm in :)'

Aww. Okay, that was cute. I smiled around the room, hoping he'd seen.

The rest of the afternoon passed in a flash, and by the end I had a huge pile of notes and a complete route across the U.S. 

"Wow." I breathed. Now there was a route, it seemed so much more real. I could see it; it was achievable and I could do it.

'Congratulations, Kiwi.'

I smiled at the note.

"I couldn't have done it without you. You're kind of turning my stupid pipe dreams into a reality." I half-smiled. The new note landed directly in front of me. It was a piece of paper from the printer, and had a lot of writing on it. I peered at it curiously.

'They aren't stupid. They're your dreams. Your life is your own, Kiwi, and you're embracing that. You know what you want. The only thing that would be stupid would be writing them off. If you want it, you can do it. You're free. I would kill for that kind of freedom. And you would've done it with or without me; you have a free spirit, and if you want to go to these places, I have a feeling that nothing will be able to stop you. 

Now, I have to go. Have a nice night.'

I re-read the passage, thinking about what he'd said. After a few seconds, I got this feeling that told me I really was alone.

I sighed, rolling up the map carefully and thought about Leo. I couldn't wait to speak to him tomorrow. He knew me well, and I had a feeling that whenwe finally met face to face, he'd rival Sienna for the position of best friend.