Chapter 25

Arakim walked into the courtyard, littered with bodies of the dead soldiers, their blood soaked into the sand to see Mena hurrying behind the circular hall and wondered why she didn't just cross over to the other side through the hall instead of going around. He debated whether to follow her or go with Gaddoni whom he sent off to his father but chose option three. He followed Edum to join Talor, hoping to postpone the time he had to face The Chief and caught the bizarre conversation between the two men after Edum casually caught off the leg of a dead soldier.

"What was that for?'' asked Talor, glancing at the shorter man. "He was already dead.''

Edum shrugged. "He was twitching.''

"Of course, he was twitching,'' Talor said, amused, 'because my axe is buried in his spine, cub.'' Shaking his shaggy head while pulling out the said axe from the man's neck.

About to comment on the absurd conversation, Arakim heard his name called and turned to see who it was. He saw a tall, lithe, ebony coloured woman, with long beaded braids framing an oval beautiful face and wearing what the single women wore in the village; a forest green-coloured minuscule triangular piece of cloth tied round the neck and below the breasts, leaving her mid-riff and arms bare and a very short wrap-around skirt belted with a gold belt, with the front and back pleated to hang down between her legs, stopping above her knees.

The only difference between this girl's outfit and the other unattached women was the sword hanging on her back and the thin leather belt tied around her upper left thigh for a sheath with the ornate hilt of a slim dagger showing.

When she got close enough to Arakim, she curtsied deeply with both knees nearly touching the ground.

"Greetings, Your Highness.'' She greeted in their local tongue, voice light but blank.

"Greetings, Hauwani,'' Arakim responded, bowing to her before walking over to gently take her in his arms and released her immediately to take a few steps back in order to maintain the proper distance between them. As it was improper for him to touch her, being a male and not a member of her family, but he felt in this situation that not sticking to the usual propriety would not be amiss. "I am very happy to see you well and unharmed, Princess,'' he told her.

"I am one of the lucky ones, Your Highness,'' she murmured sadly.

"Arakim,'' he corrected and when she inclined her head regally in acknowledgement, Arakim continued. "I am deeply sorry for bringing these monstrous acts to your family.''

"Bah!'' scoffed Hauwani dismissively, light blue eyes flashing. 'What happened here was not your fault. That I am sure,'' smiling reassuringly at him. "What happened here was evil.'' She added bitterly, her soft voice hardening.

Unfortunately, Arakim didn't know that, not about the evil because she was correct but the blame casting part. Not wanting to argue with her as she was obviously grieving, Arakim wanted to find out about the other members of her family and was told that she knew only about her father's fifth wife who was killed in the first skirmish when the soldiers came.

"Arakim.'' Talor called, drawing his attention from his depressing thoughts. He turned to see both men standing by his sides.

Switching to the regular language, but speaking slowly as Arakim knew Hauwani with her father could understand it a little having taught them on one of his visits to the desert regions.

"Hauwani, these are my friends, Edum and Talor,'' introduced Arakim, 'and this is Princess Hauwani, The First Daughter of The Chief of Kadunani Tribe and Gaddoni's elder sister.''