CHARLOTTE:

                        HALLOWEEN rapidly approached Berlin, and on a dainty autumn afternoon as I embarked on a serious mission to Manila's house, it showed. The houses in her quaint neighborhood were embellished in a variety of daunting ornaments, ranging from hairy spider-webs to skeletons and ghosts alike.

When I reached Manila's veranda, the veranda where I'd spent the holiday last year, a small smile tugged on my lips. She had reused the decorations that I'd put up, placing them in the exact location as before; it warmed my insides that she'd appreciated my architect.

Pulling my dress down and the hiding my fingers in the sleeve of my fleece jacket, I approached her front door and softly pressed my sleeve on the doorbell. Manila appeared at the door immediately, holding an almost finished fiber bar on one hand and toying with the doorknob with her other.

"Charlotte!" she beamed, opening the door wider and pulling me into a hug.

When we pulled away, I said, "Nice decorations."

"Oh, whatever," she said, laughing dismissively. "Come on in."

I took off my shoes on the hallway and entered her living room, wherein she had established a new, vintage fireplace. The scarlet flame swaying back and forth captivated my eyes as I sat on her sofa, commenting immediately, "A new addition?"

"It has been a while," she answered nonchalantly. "Would you like hot tea?"

"I just finished a cup," I said sheepishly. "Not really doing well in the finances department given my frequent trips to Starbucks."

She laughed. "It happens."

We immersed in banter for a while until I heaved out a sigh, taking off my jacket. "Manilla, I actually have to talk to you about something—well, two things—but it's important. I've been hesitating, but with much deliberation, I think I've decided."

She listened intently, giving me a nod as a motion to continue.

"Do you remember that diner I used to work at?"

"I do."

I reached into my pocket, scavenging for a second's worth before pulling out an exquisite, dainty jewelry holder. It was coated in a delectable wooden texture with a golden coffee cup daubed in the center. "I—um—how do I say this?" I floundered shyly. "I was out with my friends last night and I bought this for Carolyn—you know her, I think. She's the woman who owns the diner."

A benign smile graced her face. "I know her."

"Can you give this to her?" I requested, placing the box on the table. I observed it, wondering if this was a good idea despite already having decided in the morning that it was. "Don't do it if it's a hassle. I just—I can't bring myself to go back there without cause, and you're the only person I know."

"I'll do it, liebe," she assured, the radiance in her smile ever-growing.

"And the second thing," I digressed wearily, "is that I've finally decided to approach Papa." I pulled out my cellphone from my pocket, opening the browser tab that I had bookmarked yesterday. "I found a press release that said he'll be in Berlin for Halloween, because a football team named Borussia Dortmund is playing an important match. Have you heard of them?"

Manila bit her lip, suppressing her smile. "I have."

"I was going to look them up and try to learn a thing or two about football, but my roommate is crazy and I get sidetracked way too easily," I explained in a haste, dropping my cellphone on the sofa. "Anyway, I need your okay before ordering the tickets, and it will be difficult, but we'll also have to come up with a plan to approach him."