The Faerie Pact (Fantasy) Review

Title: The Faerie Pact

Author: pepsi_panda

Genre: Fantasy

Chapter Count: 10 (ongoing)

Blurb [sic]: Miranda had never figured out why she had never been able to touch her grandmother's jewelry, much less look at it. She had often kept it hidden, as if it held the secrets of the world. When her grandmother passes, Miranda takes her jewelry box as a keepsake.

Little did she know, that she was told to keep away for a reason.

Onto the review

The Faerie Pact is about faeries, if you hadn't guessed. Not the old timley fae you might remember from folklore, but the new fairies/faeries/pixie type of fae that became prevalent with children's storybooks. Without further adieu, onto the actual story.

The beginning of The Faerie Pact starts out strong with Miranda thinking about her newly deceased grandmother as her and her family drive to her grandmom's house for one final family get together.

The description is solid, with good word choice. There were times when words were misused, I counted at least once for certainty. There was also a few grammatical errors in the writing, mostly the dialogue when breaks didn't make sense.

Speaking of the dialogue, it was nothing particularly special, though I really liked when Miranda was thinking to herself and the use of third person was intriguing because it's not used often in Wattpad stories. There was a lot of adjective use when dialogue was being had which pulled me out of the story a few times, mostly because a dialogue tag was had every time there was a break in speech, which was unnecessary. There is a bit of needless description in the book, like direct repeats of what we've just learned last sentence but using different words.

The actual voice of the story was strong, very strong. It's actually what kept me going for the most part. I liked Miranda as a character and felt I knew her although I had barely heard her talk (out loud) in the first chapter.

The stories pacing is about average, could be better but nothing that bothered me about it.

Personally I felt the beginning was a little slow around chapter two when I just wanted to see her open the box already.

Characterization is also average, all but Miranda's character which is surprisingly likeable when I don't normally like teenage protagonists. She had this feeling of adventure and joy even while being obedient and seemingly shy, which was wonderfully complex.

Verdict: A pretty good read and the use of fae for faerie managed to catch my attention. Went in for the fae, stayed for Miranda and the world description.

-Reviewed by