Chapter 5: Kicked in the gut's

The walls surrounding me close in.

My chest tightens, my heart rate goes up and I can feel my eyes burning from the mixture of sadness and anger.

I look at mum with my dry eyes and simply say "What?"

"Your dad's gone" she repeats and the new layer of tears roll done her face.

My hands begin to shake with the frame still in my hands, the broken glass rattling on the picture.

"What do you mean 'dad's gone'?" I say with my teeth grinding together. "What happened here?"

Mums voice is weak and cracks at the words "He came in from work..... And we talked about Christmas and stuff....."

The pause is uncomfortable.

"Mum" I say with my voice raising.

My thumbs grip hard into the frame and a sharp pain travels through them but I couldn't careless.

"We talked about going for marriage counselling" mum trys to continue "and we talked about when we were younger, about us recently and about you".

I nod slowly for her to continue. My eyes are pierced to her.

My grip on the frame gets a bit harder.

"Oh God" mum says covering her face with her hands and then wiping away her tears. She breathes in and looks at me for the first time since saying.....  Saying..... Dad's gone.

"Tell me what happened" I say. "How did the picture break? Where has dad gone?"

"Honey I want you to know I love you so much and no matter what happens I will always love you" she says with genuine emotions.

She's stalling.

"Mum I love you too.  Now tell me what happened?" I repeat with  a more angered tone and my grip on the frame as strong as I could grip it.

"We will be alright Michael, we can manage-"

"MUM WHAT HAPPENED?" I yell.

"Michael your hands" mum crys.

I slam the picture on the floor.

Already scattered glass breaks even more and I could see bloodstains on the picture.

"Michael your bleeding" she says running towards me but I step back.

"I'm not asking again" I say with rage.

"We started fighting" she blurts out.

I sigh in annoyance.

"What a surprise!" I say with a hint of sarcasm "But what do you mean dad has left?"

My voice gets deeper as the words come out. My voice can't break, not now.

"We fought, we slapped each other,  we pushed the furniture and he threw the picture before he left" mum says calmly but tears still in her eyes.

My breathing is heavy and my fists are balled up. I can feel the blood in my palms from the cuts in my thumbs; the earlier pain being broken shards of glass digging into the flesh.

"Sweetheart let me clean up your hands-"

"Mum for fuck sake why did he leave!!!" I growl.

"He walked out okay Micheal. He just walked out. Out of our house, out of our lives" mum says on the brink of yelling at me.

My heart rate reaches a million beats pure minute. I bring my hands to my face as I feel my eyes water. My fingers grip into my hair and I feel like punching someone in the face.