Chapter 7

I awoke with a start when I heard someone knocking on my door. When I say knocking, I mean hitting the door, it sound like whoever was 'knocking' was using my door as a punching bag.

I sat up then stretched and yawned and got out of bed and padded over to my door to see who it was that was beating the "living daylights" out of my door and who had awoken me rathe rudely from my deep slumber.

I unlocked the door and opened the door a crack to see two familiar (and rather frustrated looking) figures. I opened it wider and saw they were already dressed and ready for the full day ahead of them. "Good morning, Alistair and John!" I said with another yawn and stretched again. They both groaned and glanced at each other. Alistair said to John "Typical, she's only just woken up." John said and turned his gaze back to me "Good morning, Lina, hurry up and get dressed, you need to be at the dining room soon. Breakfast was served an hour ago, but it's still warm." "How long have you two been trying to wake me up?" I asked "Two hours, we left for a bit of fruit to keep us getting more hungry and came back and you still hadn't woken up, we were rather worried that something had happened to you." Alistair replied. "I'll get dressed quickly then, I'll be down in ten minutes." I said, John turned to leave and Alistair did the same.

I closed the door and went over to the first of my bags which were placed in front of the wardrobe and grabbed a black pencil skirt, some tights and a white button down blouse and pulled them on. I decided that I would unpack later on, if I had nothing else to do. I then went to one of my other bags and pulled out a pair of black heels and shoved them on, I went over to the mirror and brushed my hair and headed for the door when I was done. I set off in the direction of the dining room and took in the intricate beauty of the ship, there were some paintings of some famous battle scenes. I passed one that I recognized as a painting of the Great War that was painted by one of my old friends. Underneath it, it read "World War I" I was confused as to why it was called that, until a thought came to me, "So there is going to be another war like the Great War in the future..." this thought gave me shivers down my spine, considering the fact that the Great War was horrible and should never be repeated again.

I tore my intense stare away from the painting and walked away quickly, not daring to look back at the painting that had brought back so many painful memories of my childhood when my father died after serving in the war three days before the end of it. We had lived in the countryside so we had evacuees from London invade our seven-bedroom mansion. I was not happy about the arrangements of complete strangers coming to live with me, my mum and my older sister, Lucy. But they quickly grew on me and we were all friends by the end of it, I was sad to see them go when the war ended, but I had to accept the fact that they were missing their families and that they had to go back. What made me even more upset, was that the news of my father's demise was delivered to me. I knew that my mother was in a much worse state than me, and my sister was taking the news better but was still pretty upset. It killed me knowing that he hadn't known that England/France had a victory over Germany, and that he wouldn't be there to celebrate like the rest of England.

When I reached the dining room door, I noticed that tears were forming in the corner of my eyes. I quickly wiped away the evidence of tears being there away, I didn't want to dwell on my past right now, because I was making a future for myself, right there and then. I put my hand on the door knob, twisted it then pushed it open.