~Chapter Eight~

~Patrick's POV~

When Pete woke up, I didn't ask about what they did to him. I didn't push him to say anything.

I took a clean sock and soaked it in water to begin cleaning him up. He winced slightly every time I trailed over a cut or bruise, but sat quietly, never looking up or saying a word. It was when I was cleaning along his neck that he brought his hand up to stop me.

"Patrick..." He spoke quietly.

"What is it, Pete?" My eyes traced over to his. I could still see fear in his eye. I felt anger begin to bubble inside of myself. I tried to focus on the blue glow from our contact by his cheek.

"I... I don't like this place..." He was still quiet when he spoke. He shuddered before he spoke again. "We need to get out. This place isn't good for any of us..."

"I know Pete." I frowned.

"No, no you don't." Pete shook his head, "You never have to remember. They wouldn't let me forget. They tortured me for no reason..." His hand let go of mine and grabbed his arm. "It hurts..."

I didn't know what to say. He was repeating the same thing Gerard had said... It made me worry even more for him.

"Can we take that shirt off?" I asked softly, "There are clean ones in the drawer."

Pete nodded and winced as he began to slide off the stained shirt. I gasped at the new marks it revealed.

There was a deep gash across Pete's stomach. There were also smaller cuts scattered all over his chest and sides. He refused to look at me once he slid his shirt past his arms.

"Oh, Pete..." I covered my mouth and felt tears forming in my eyes.

"Patrick...Can you please get me a shirt?" He asked quietly, still refusing to look at me.

I set the sock down next to him and hurried over to the small dresser we were given. I pulled out one of the dozens of identical shirts. I turned around and felt myself stiffen. He had multiple dark bruises on his back.

I felt the anger flowing through me again, in a way I couldn't relax or control. I closed my eyes. Please not now. I have to stay calm for Pete. I took in a deep breath of air and held it. I waited a few minutes and let it out, opening my eyes.

"Here Pete..." I walked over and passed the shirt to him, letting our fingertips brush lightly.

"Thank you..." He, quickly as he could, slipped it on, crying out slightly when it hit certain parts of his body.

I frowned at him, feeling my heart break for him. He finally looked up at me and gave me a weak smile.

"It's okay...Thank you 'Trick..." He slowly extended his hand to rest it on top of mine. The blue glow slowly appeared and I sighed in slight relief.

"I feel better already just being here with you." He laughed lightly.

~~~

We were sitting in the social room with the others. All of us were there, no one was in testing.

My head was bobbing on my shoulders. I hadn't slept since I had seen the extent of Pete's injuries. That was days ago. I just couldn't bring myself to sleep out of fear of them taking Pete again.

"Patrick?" I turned at the sound of Pete's voice.

~Pete's POV~

Patrick looked at me with those tired eyes that had been watching over me for days now. I frowned at him and traces my fingers along his cheek, watching his eyes close with the appearance of the blue glow.