Chapter Seven

“I’m serious Eden, Andrew digs you,” Jessie said again.  When Eden remained silent she added, “Hello, earth to Eden.”

“Huh, what,” she answered, her eyes focusing on her friend who was sprawled across her bed, lying on her stomach.

Jessie shoved her math book aside as she sat up. “Did you even hear what I said?”

Eden eyed the book, now teetering at the edge of the mattress.  “Y-e-s.”

“Liar, you’ve got no idea what I’ve been saying for the past ten minutes, do you?  Why aren’t you excited? Andrew’s way cute.”

She considered her friend’s words before it registered. “Wait, you think Andrew likes me?  Jessie, you’re crazy.”

“No way, he stares at you like the whole time during trig.  He’s always talking to you too.”

“He’s teasing me, making fun of me.  I’m pretty sure that means he does not like me.”

“Whatever, I know what I see-”

Jessie’s words were cut off by Eden’s mom hollering, “Eden, phone’s for you.”

Eden jumped up off the floor, her own math book falling from her lap, and ran to the door.  Her mom met her in the hall, handing her the cordless phone.

“Hello,” she said, returning to her bedroom, where Jessie was off the bed, peering at herself in the mirror, fiddling with her red curls.

“Hey, what’s up?”  

Eden instantly knew the voice; it was one she longed to hear almost daily now.

“Nothing. How bout you?”  She answered trying to ignore Jessie mouthing the words who is it over and over.

“Not much.  Just getting everything ready, you know.”

“Yeah, bet you’re excited right?”

Micah sighed, “I guess. Hey, can you come over?”

She swallowed.  “Sure.”

“I’m leaving pretty early in the morning, and…well, I’d like to say good bye.”

She struggled to keep her voice even with the lump lodged in her throat. “Ok, yeah, me too.”

Jessie was now throwing her hands up, “Eden, who the heck is it-”

“I can come get you if you want,” Micah offered.

Eden waved her hand at her friend to be quiet as she said, “Ok, thanks.”

“See you in ten.”  He hung up and Eden stared at the receiver.

Jessie’s hands were on her hips.  “So?”

“It was Micah.  Guess it’s time to say good bye.” 

“Oh well, good riddance if you ask me.”

“Jessie, Micah’s my-”

“Best friend, yeah, I know.  But the dude’s popular and cocky.”

“Micah’s not cocky.”

“Ok, well maybe he’s not, but all his friends are stuck up.  And don’t even get me started on his girlfriend, ugh, gag me.”

Eden smiled, agreeing full-heartedly with Jessie on that point.

“I just don’t want you to get hurt Eden,” Jessie sighed, “Micah’s not like us.  And I know how you feel about him,” Jessie cut off Eden’s protests, “Don’t even try to deny it, I can totally tell you like him.  Just remember, Micah thinks of you as a friend, nothing more.  He’s got a girlfriend, Megan, the biggest-”

“Trust me I know where I stand with Micah.  And we are just friends, anyway.”

“Ok.”  Jessie grinned, rising an eyebrow, “Now Andrew on the other hand…”

---------

Eden was not happy to be home alone waiting.  Jessie left soon after the phone call, her dad was working late, and her mom had taken Brendon and his friends bowling.  Since seeing the woman at Micah’s house, she jumped at shadows, turned on lights in every room, peeked under beds, behind shower curtains, and in closets just to make sure.

What was strange to her was how easily she fell asleep at night.  It was like a calming blanket wrapped around her, leaving her feeling safe and relaxed. She’d never felt anything like it before. 

The living room darkened as the sun went behind the clouds.  She hurried to the light switch, flipping it on. 

There, that’s better.

Spying a novel she’d left on the end table, she moved to grab it, and heard a resounding thump upstairs.   She froze.   Is it another ghost?

Eyes searching the room, she remained planted, terrified to move. The blood pounded in her ears, making it hard to hear. 

Just the house settling, nothing’s going to happen, she reassured herself. 

There was a firm knock and she sprinted for the front door, throwing it open. 

Micah filled the door frame. “Hey, ready to go?”

“Yep,” She practically shoved him out of the way, trying to escape.

He stepped back. “Well, ok then.”

Once inside his Ford 350, she finally felt safe. She ignored the nagging fact she’d only seen the supernatural while with Micah.   Seeing a ghost without him would be way worse.

He threw the truck into reverse, pulling out of the parking lot.  He was quiet as they drove. She peeked over.  He turned, their eyes met briefly. She glanced away.

“So you leave tomorrow?”

“Yeah.”

“You don’t sound excited.”

He made a sound, somewhere between a grunt and a hum then said, “I know I need to go, so I guess that’s enough for me.”

She stared at him.  His eyes were focused on the road, one hand on the steering wheel, the other arm resting on cushion between them.

“You need to go to Rome?” she probed.

He glanced over and smiled.  “Saw another vision,” he laughed, “Man, I sound nuts.”

“No,” she asserted, realizing she believed him.  “You don’t actually.”

He glanced over again, but said nothing. 

 ------------------

 Micah’s mom was chatting to Eden as they chopped carrots and potatoes together.  Micah sat on the bar stool watching; it was a comforting sight.  How many times had he sat at these stools as a kid with Eden staring wide eyed and hungry as his mom prepared snacks for them?  He smiled to himself.  Now, Eden stood taller than his mom, which wasn’t hard since Lacey was probably 5’4”.  Micah had passed her up years ago.

“Micah, your dad’s going to be back soon from the airport with Trent.  Are you sure you packed everything?”  His mom asked.

“Yes.”  He wanted to add, you’ve only asked me a hundred times…but he didn’t want to spoil the moment.

He gazed at Eden; her lips pulled together, a crease between her brows.  He knew she was concentrating her efforts on slicing the carrots evenly.  It was the face she’d made since they were kids, only now her lips were fuller, and the effect it had on him was…different.

“Hey mom, care if I show Eden something?” he asked, rising to his feet.

His mom didn’t look up from the potatoes she was shoveling into a pot of boiling water, “Sure hon, that’s fine.”

Eden glanced up from her task, her brows remained bent.  Funny, how I can still read her. Now she’s curious.

He grinned at her, “Come on, it’s out back.”