Chapter 6 ~•~Shark-In-law

"Luke don't!" I yelled. The music paused. I ran into the kitchen and tried grabbing it off him but he'd already said hello. It was too late for me to do anything without raising alarms in the crazy wreckage that was my mother's head. I could physically feel my blood boiling to the point where I felt the need to open all the windows. Mum hardly ever called. She was the only person in my family that never cared enough to keep in contact with me but I didn't care. I'd lost whatever relationship I had with her many years ago. Why she was calling me in the middle of the night was a mystery. That's when my mind began to wander. What if something terrible had happened? "Give me the phone, Luke," I snapped.

Instead, he put the phone on speaker so that I could hear Mum scream with excitement. "How much did she pay you?"
Luke laughed while looking at me. "Not enough."
Mum laughed. I rolled my eyes. Great. News of my engagement to Luke had travelled the seas and reached all the way to my mother in Australia. I was surprised it hadn't reached Brittany. Or maybe it had, but she was reluctant to speak to me seeing as she'd never heard of Luke before and the news has come from someone other than me. "It's so unfortunate that the family won't be able to meet you or be at the wedding," Mum said. Luke was silent for a moment. He met my eyes. "We're actually planning on coming over soon," he replied. With that, I grabbed the phone from his hand and abruptly ended the call. "I'm not going anywhere," I stated as calm as I could. "You've gone too far now. I can't do this anymore."
"Chill, Karina. I'll drive."
I blinked at him. "You'll drive? What? Is that car you're working on, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Anyway, that's besides the point. I am not going to Australia. End of story. You had no right making a stupid promise like that."
Other then me having a go at him, Luke appeared to suddenly be stressed about something else. "Is that Sydney, Australia?" He asked.
"Why the hell does that matter? I said I'm not going."
"I've got enough money for two return tickets."
I walked away. I didn't have the emotional energy to continue bickering with him. I headed upstairs for a shower. I unintentionally took longer then usual before stepping out. After drying myself and applying some cocoa scented lotion, I got into a black satin knee-length nightdress that I'd brought into the bathroom with me just in case Luke was out in the bedroom by the time that I got out of the shower. I was in the middle of brushing my teeth when I heard Luke enter the bedroom. I was almost tempted to spend the entire night in the bathroom because I didn't want to run into Luke. Splash my face with cold water didn't help mask the puffiness around my eyes so I waited for a while before finally building up the courage to exit the bathroom. Luke lay in the covers while tapping on his phone. I felt his eyes following me but I avoided them at all costs and quietly got into the covers next to him. "Karina," he whispered.
"What? I'm trying to sleep."
"You and I both know that's not true."
I got out of the covers and went into the room with the bed he claimed to be uncomfortable. As much as I hated to admit it, he was right. I felt like I was lying on springs that were designed to dig into my back. Less than a minute had passed before I gave in. I could no longer withstand the pain. I tiptoed back into Luke's room with my metaphorical tail between my legs. I slid into the covers and stayed as far away from him as possible. "Was the other bed not comfortable enough without me in it?" He whispered. I didn't reply. He had been facing the wall before he turned to face me. I tried to turn away from him but he grabbed my waist to stop me from moving. "What are you doing?" I snapped. "Get your hand off me, Luke."
"Not until you answer this. What is so bad about seeing your mother?"
"Everything," I mumbled to myself. He waited for me to continue. I sighed. "Leave me alone, Luke."
He released me, allowing me to turn away from him. "I can't do this anymore. I think we're better off just ending this and not getting married."
I waited for him to say something but he remained silent.