Chapter Five

Hey peoples!!! sorry for not updating in a while, i had a minor writers block. Also thigs have gotten real busy at school, it being the last month. And I'm starting PSAT, SAT, and ACT prep UGHHHHHHH. And I'm planning the summer, which is going to be AMAZINGGGG!!!! Really excited for that. So yeah, Hope you like this chapter! I'm sorry it's so short, but I felt like if I didn't upload something soon then I never would:)

Chapter Five

“Are you absolutely sure?” Doctor John asks.

I nod. “Yup.”

 After having Angel Google Alexandra Motesto, I decided that I would do the surgery. I’d rather to be able to see than hear, and there’s always cochlear implants. And, okay, I’ll admit it, the dream I had might’ve inspired some thinking toward the subject.

“You realize it’s a very complicated surgery, and it might very well go wrong? You need to know that you night not get you’re sight back, and if you do, it will be pretty minimal.”

I nod again. “Yeah, I want to do it. You don’t need to convince me not to, it wont work. In case you haven’t realized, I’m kind of stubborn.”

Doctor John chuckles. “Yeah, I’ve noticed. I wont try to convince you. But your mom might be another story.”

I groan inwardly. I forgot about what my moms input might be. She’ll never let.

“Well… whatever. I’ll think of something.”

“OK. I’ll send her in.” Doctor John pauses for a second and then walks out, softly closing the door behind him.

This should be interesting.

A few minutes later, the door opens and someone (I’m assuming my mother) walks in and sits down next to me. A few seconds go by in silence, until I break it. I’ve never been one for awkward silences.

“Um… Hey?” I say.

I hear a sigh, and then a female voice (Yup, it was my mom) says, “Tiffany, I heard that you want to do the surgery.”

Doctor John told her? Damn, I hate that guy.

“Yeah, I do. Okay, mom, listen, before you tell me I can’t do it, you should just know that I’ve spent half of my life working on my art, so that I could get a good scholarship to get into a good college to get a good job, and if I’m blind I wont be able to use any of those skills and I’ll have to start over in finding something that I want to do in life, and you know that I cant play any instrument well enough to do anything that good, and art is really the only thing I have, and without that I don’t have much. Doctor John said that if I did the surgery I have a 50/50 chance of being able to see, and that’s better than nothing, so it’s totally worth it, and if it doesn’t work at least we tried, you know? Or else I’m going to spend the rest of my life regretting that I didn’t do it, because maybe it will work, and I’ll be able to see, and that would be amazing!”

I take a breath after letting that all out, hoping that my mom would actually take some of what I said into account. Which she usually doesn’t. But, still…

“But what if it doesn’t work and you are blind and deaf…” My mother says after a pause. She actually sounds slightly teary… and like she might agree?

“Please, mom!” I say earnestly. “I need to be able to see. It’s a part of who I am. If I cant see, I’ve just lost a major part of myself.” If this argument doesn’t work, nothing will. My mom is very into ‘be yourself’ and ‘never let anyone change who you are’.

“Well… I guess we can look into it. I’ll have to ask your dad, though. And you will so be getting a job after this, young lady. Surgeries are not cheap.”

“Yay! Thank you mom!” I throw out my arms to hug her, and realize this might be exceedingly awkward if she doesn’t come to hug me. She does though, and I wrap my arms around her tightly. She laughs a little and sniffs. “Don’t get used to me giving in though. You got your stubborn streak from me.”