Damon and Bonnie 8

"Damon," she called entering his house almost tripping over a glass beer bottle that littered the floor. She felt like she was dodging landmines just to get to the living room. She was pretty sure she just stepped in mayonnaise or at least she hoped it was mayonnaise. She entered the living room to see Trina passed out on top of Damon. That girl was bad news, but he'd need a billboard to see it. "Hello," she said clapping her hands loudly.

"I'm up, what. What," said Damon sitting up with a start and knocking Trina to the floor.

Bonnie held back a snicker, "Damon we need to talk."

"Don't you ever knock," asked Damon. "Trina, what are you doing on the floor?"

She rolled her eyes and brushed herself off, "I'm out of our morning pick me up. I'm leaving to get some." She picked up her purse and brushed past Bonnie briskly, "Don't be here when i get back." She slammed the door behind her.

"Not going to say anything to that," asked Bonnie annoyed.

"I would if she weren't right. You're not going to be here when she gets back, said Damon.

"Why is that Damon? What are you two hiding?" asked Bonnie curiously.

"That's for me to know and for you to dot dot dot," said Damon. Rethinking it he offered up a better explanation, "I didn't think our morning coffee run was that exciting."

"I didn't think you drank anything that wasn't Whiskey or Scotch these days."

"Well at least you know what to get me for christmas. Now what brings you by this time."

"I heard about your interview. The guy comes to the coffee shop where I work. What were you thinking?"

"Don't look at me with those judge-y little eyes. The guy just chose to go in a different direction," he said smirking.

"Why don't you let people see the good in you?" pleaded Bonnie.

"Because when people see good they expect good. And I don't want to live up to anyone's expectations."

"Anyone. . .or just mine. Trust me Damon I don't have any expectations. If you can go a day without killing someone I'll be happy."

"What's the point of that. They'll just come back," he said shrugging, "Besides that's not who I am anymore."

She went to hug him and he stepped back, "Don't."

"You can't keep shutting out the people who love you," said Bonnie giving him his space.

"People. . .or you?" asked Damon. "Right silence."

"Don't do that," she said hesitating feeling like the spotlight was on her. "I care about you. I just want to see you happy." She turned to leave without another word.

"And that's my cue to head to the bar," he said. He'd been drinking at the bar alone for more than a few hours when Mason showed up.

"Please tell me that the girlfriend didn't come with?" asked Damon irritated. Wondering if he should make a run for the back door before she caught sight of him.

"Actually, no I'm picking up dinner love the wings here. I'm glad I ran into you though I've been meaning to talk you," said Mason.

"Oh boy I cant wait," said Damon smirking.

"Just hear me out. Can we get a booth?"

"Sure."

"Don't be mad, but Bonnie told me a little bit about what's going on."

"I doubt that, but go on."

"She said you were heart-broken over losing your girl."

"It's a little bit more than that," he said like the whole being human after being immortal he thought.

"Yeah I figured, but if this is about a girl you're missing the bigger picture here," said Mason.

I must've really hit rock bottom to receive life wisdom from this guy thought Damon taking another swig of his drink.

"Someone's going to walk into your life who makes you realize why it never worked with anyone else."

"Really?" said Damon calling the waitress over for a refill.

"It's so amazing when someone comes into your life and you expected nothing out of it, but suddenly their right in front of one person is everything you need."

"Are we still talking about me?" asked Damon nonchalantly.

"No I guess I meant Bonnie."

"Right," said Damon. Well that didn't take as long as I thought it would before you started talking about yourself thought Damon.

"No getting back to what I was saying is if love becomes to painful then it's time to let that go and save yourself. Dude you can always find another love. Oh my order's ready," he said getting up from the table.

"Oh," he said bending down to whisper in Damon's ear, "While your figuring all this out. Stop dragging my girlfriend along to your little pity parties."

"What! Woah, when did boy wonder grow balls," said Damon. Whatever he thought Trina's probably back at the house by now.

Mason put his key in the door, but before he could open it Bonnie was there. Mason lifted up the paper bag, "Dinner."

"I am working on dessert theirs a cake in the oven," she said giving him a kiss.

"What made you decide to bake?" asked Mason surprised putting the food on the kitchen table.

"I just wanted to do something nice for you."

"Oh Yeah," he said picking her up and setting her down on the kitchen counter leaning in for a kiss. "How was work today?"

"I was late to work this morning."

"You left here on time. Why were you late?" asked Mason quizzically.

"I went to check on Damon."

"Dammit, Bonnie now you're telling me you're missing work for this guy."

She jumped off the counter, "I'm not saying I missed work. I'm saying I was late."

He snorted, "I saw him today at the bar no surprise there."

"Okay, what happened?"

Mason searched her eyes was this really something he should get into with her. "Nothing happened Bonnie he was drinking and I tried to give him some advice on his girl problems. The one you keep reminding me he has."

"Well did it seem like he listened?"

"I don't know Bonnie! I am not going to worry about it either."

"Maybe I need to go check on him again," she said mulling it over in her head.

"Why because your life doesn't revolve around him enough as its?" asked Mason getting angry.

"Thats not fair," she said between sniffles.

"I appreciate how caring you can be. Sometimes you gotta let him be his own hero, and save his own little heart."

"I'm his friend I never said I was his savior," she said sternly.

"No, you just act like it. You know that same guy you can't imagine living without. He can actually live without you.

"I'm the only family he has here. I am not going to listen to anymore of this," she said throwing on her coat.

"Just one thing before you go rushing off to him, Bonnie," said Mason grabbing a bowl of chips and sitting on the couch. "I want to be in this relationship, but you got be in it with me."

She didn't reply slamming the door.

"What about the cake?" asked Mason