Damon and Bonnie 3

Ok, what is he talking about?" asked Mason directing his question at Bonnie and ignoring Damon.

"Just ignore him," said Bonne shooting daggers at Damon with her eyes. If she was right and Mason was in on it she didn't want him to know they were on to him.

"Who is this guy anyway?"

"Damon, he is just a friend of mind," said Bonnie not sure why it mattered to her that Mason knew what kind of relationship they had.

"Oh right, you told me about him. Yeah nice to meet you. I've heard lots of good things about you," said Mason holding out his hand for Damon to shake.

Damon smirked ignoring the out-stretched hand. "That's weird cause I'm a dick. Hey, it's still funny even the second time around," he said with a mischievous light in his blue eyes. Moments like this made him look irresistible, but then he opened his mouth and it was shot all to hell thought Bonnie.

Mason took a deep breath as if prepared to say something, but then stopped himself. He grabbed Bonnie by her elbow and led her away so they could get a few moments of privacy to talk. "What does he mean second time?" asked Mason genuinely confused. "I'd give you a lecture about meeting strange guys at bars if you hadn't told me already that you knew him previously."

Bonnie was about to follow that comment up with a question, but was interrupted. Their was none of the fluidity in his movements or gracefulness as when he was a vampire. She didn't know if that made this even more or less terrifying. He grabbed Mason's head and snapped his neck. Catching Mason off guard he didn't even have time to fight back. Like a cartoon he just fell to the ground in a heap. Blood pouring slowly from his right ear. She heard someone screaming and it wasn't until Damon was shaking her that she realized it was her. She looked around for help, but the bar had cleared out for a select few hiding in the shadows. Not fast enough to have made it out with the rest of the crowd.

"I thought being human would be good for you, but you're still a homicidal maniac," said Bonnie shaking her head. She was responsible for this man losing his life twice. She wasn't even sure he was guilty this time they had no proof. Tears fell silently down her face as she stared at his motionless body.

"If he's the one keeping us here then his death will send us home," said Damon nonchalantly.

Next Morning. . .

Bonnie woke up in bed feeling well rested with her alarm clock blaring reading 9:00am. She hit the snooze button and sat up in bed. She couldn't remember how she got there or what happened last night. Oh my god, Damon killed Mason she thought biting her lower lip and fighting back the tears threaten to spill over. What did they do after that? How did she end up in bed? Wait, she was smelling bacon rafting in from the kitchen. Did his plan work was she back with Jeremy? She threw the covers off her and jumped out of bed. When she came out of her room it wasn't Jeremy in her kitchen it was Mason. Of course, when did Jeremy ever cook anything he didn't later burn.

"Hey, sweetie I was going to fix you breakfast in bed," said Mason snapping Bonnie out of her train of thought.

She ran to him and gave him a hug. Holding on for dear life as if, he would disappear if she let go.

"Hey, what's the matter?" asked Mason concerned returning her hug with the same fervor. "Babe, have you been crying."

"I'm sorry. . .I'm sorry for what happened to you," whispered Bonnie into his bare shoulder.

"Babe, you know I forgive you for kicking me out of the house. We talked about this already," he said pulling back to look her in the face.

"What?" she said searching his face could he really not remember dying. "That's not what I'm talking about."

He had still been holding on to her, but he forget that the stove was still on. He turned her away from it and cut off the stove off.

"You don't have to apologize for Damon's actions. Yeah, he sucker punched me and we all got thrown out of the bar. But you did nothing wrong."

"You don't look any worst for wear," she said turning his face left than right. Playing it off like she was looking at his jaw when she was checking his neck.

"Well, I had a good nurse," he teased pulling her close and snuggling her neck. She realized too late that they had gotten closer than she meant. She pulled away from him and sat at the table putting some distance between them. She didn't want him to die didn't mean she thought he was innocent. Besides, she had a boyfriend back home that she loved. She was just going to kill Mason with kindness and find out what he was hiding. In the meantime, she just had to keep him safe and away from Damon.

"I thought I would go with you today after breakfast. Kinda be their to support while you register for classes," said Mason between bites of his eggs.

"I'm not sure what I should be taking," said bonnie genuinely. School always seemed to fall to the back burner over Mystic Falls next crisis.

"Don't worry about it we will figure it out together. Fresh start okay," he said getting up to kiss her forehead and place his plate in the sink. "I'm going to take a shower."

Across Town. . .

Damon awoke apparently having fell asleep on the couch. No craving for blood returned, no super speed or annoying Stefan to greet him. Guess that meant his little experiment of killing Mason didn't work. But that left more questions than answers. Why can't he remember last night? How did he end up on the couch? Bonnie must be going through the same thing he is right now. But he's probably the last person she wants to see. His death was necessary to see if her theory was true. Which begs the question what happened to Mason? She may not want to see him, but Bon-Bon's about to get a visitor.

He jumped in his car passing the bar and the all too familiar shops. Wondering once again why he had to be doomed to live out the rest of his life here. It had once been home, but it was never his intention to stay. Even after he met Elena, he had hoped that one day they might see the world together. He passed the college unceremoniously until he saw Bonnie out the corner of his eye. He parked the car and was about to catch up to her when another man came up behind her. A man who looked suspiciously like Mason well that answered that question.

He only had one other way of ensuring the guy was on the level he had to track him for the next couple of weeks. Damon always felt like more of a man of action than a detective. He was going to have to brush off some of the skills he has picked up from Stefan along the way. He watched them smiling and laughing together and honestly he was a little baffled. He didn't think she liked the dumb jock type. But who was he kidding her former boyfriend was Jeremy the boy wonder after all. He decided to follow them at a distance.

He couldn't resist picking a dandelion that was growing in an odd place in the crack of the sidewalk. What didn't escape his notice was that it grew back. He picked it again wondering if he was really seeing what he thought. Their it was an exact replica of the one that died before. Was this what happened with Mason?