Damon and Bonnie 12

"Here you go guys BLT and Club sandwich," said Bonnie placing the food on the table. She had been assigned the outdoor patio as her serving area. Any other day she'd be happy too, but the 90 degree weather wasn't sitting right with her today. She had been there all morning into the afternoon. The air conditioning was out and the heat just seemed to cling to her skin. "Let me know if you need anything else?" asked Bonnie.

She fanned herself with her order pad and looked up to see Damon across the street. For a minute she wasn't sure it was him or if she was seeing things. He winked at her and she couldn't help, but smile. He was staring at her and it was so unnerving. She had seen this look from him before, but never directed at her. An old man hobbled past him and he made a silly face in his direction. She laughed probably to loud because she got a couple of strange looks from the people at the next table. He jogged across the street holding up traffic. Cars honking at him to move out of the way. She wiped the smile from her face and tried to play it cool.

"What are you doing here?" asked Bonnie.

"I just thought I'd come by and see my Bon-Bon," said Damon casually.

"I'm working, I thought I told you that last night," said Bonnie.

"Since when do I listen."

"Bonnie," called her boss beckoning her over.

She turned around, shit, she can't get fired she needs this job. "Hi, Mr. Ferguson."

"Jake's going to take over now. You get to go home three hours early. Don't say I never gave you anything," said Mr. Ferguson walking away.

"Wait, why?" she said startled.

"You can thank your boyfriend over there," said Mr. Ferguson pointing to Damon.

"Oh, he's not. . ." she stopped better not ruin it, "Thank you."

She ran out of the restaurant and into Damon's waiting arms. He picked her up and twirled her around. "You're welcome."

"How did you get him to agree to let me go without compelling him?" asked Bonnie her boss wasn't exactly known for being a reasonable man on a good day.

Damon hesitated before answering.

"You threatened him didn't you? I guess old habits die hard don't they!" said Bonnie storming off an anguish.

He grabbed her stopping her from going back in.

"What Damon. What! I need this job," she said pushing him away from her. She didn't mean to cause a scene as people on the sidewalk were starting to stop and stare. His careless actions just infuriated her so much.

"Dammit Bonnie, I told him I needed to propose to the love of my life today. My girlfriend, you," he said raking his hand through his hair.

"No," she said noticing that there audience hadn't disappeared. She wasn't going to miss a chance to take a dig at him.

"No, what," asked Damon his temper flaring.

"No, I'm not going to marry you," she said pushing past him. Smiling all the while as she headed to his car and got in. Damon got into the drivers seat slamming his door closed. He just sat there gripping the wheel. "Are you really that upset that I said no?"

"Marriage is the only form of slavery that's still legal so no thanks I'll skip it," said Damon.

"What is your problem or do you plan on white knuckling it the rest of the ride," snapped Bonnie.

"Really, you think that's what bothered me the most? Just curious how are you going to fit a husband in that apartment anyway with all 50 of your cats."

"Are you calling me an old spinster," said Bonnie.

"Future old spinster," said Damon. This argument was getting out of hand he was losing sight of why he was angry. Damon took a deep breath, "I'm trying Bonnie, but you have to try to."

"Damon."

"You actually thought I threatened him. I haven't done anything like that since I tried to kill Mason. They all come back remember what's the point," said Damon.

"I'm sorry," she said at a loss for words.

"How can you claim to care about someone when you can only think the worst about them," said Damon looking her straight in the eye.

"I never said. . ." she trailed off getting flustered.

"I've lived over a hundred years. I have seen and done everything. So I'm going to give you a chance to start that sentence again," said Damon.

"What do you expect from me? That I can just wake up one morning and forget that you hit me," she said the mood turning from one of anger to a somber one.

"Bonnie that was an accident. You know that I'd never hurt you," he said caressing her cheek.

"No, I know that," she said taking his hand in hers, "but it was still my wake up call. I got so wrapped up in you that I was forgetting who I was."

"That just makes us perfect for each other. Bonnie, I don't know who I am without you," said Damon squeezing her hand.

"That's not fair because you should. You're the strongest person I know. Its okay if you don't know what to do next, but its not up to me to fill in those blanks. You have to do it on your own," said Bonnie her heart breaking with every word.

"Don't go back to Mason," he said sure that she was only pushing him away for him. "The guys a loser."

"Uh you always were stubborn. This has nothing to do with Mason, but how do I know that this isn't about Elena," said Bonnie getting defensive.

"I remember her everyday. Her smile, her laugh the funny things she used to do. Its all I have of her. So I remember something everyday to hold on too. When I started doing drugs it had nothing to do with her. I wouldn't want to forget her, but everything else I did."

"You still love her," said Bonnie turning her head towards the window to hide her falling tears.

"I'd die for her. I think I proved that with every bad decision I've ever made, but i'd live for you."

"What?" asked Bonnie turning to look at him wiping the tears from her face.

"Dying is the easy part, its living that's hard. I want to experience every moment with you. I'm not sure what we have, but I know what we could have."

"So that brings me back to my original question. What do you want from me?" asked Bonnie her heart in her throat.

"You're right i'm not right for you right now. But I will be so I guess i'm asking if you'd just wait for me. Don't leave me, Bonnie!"

"I could never. That's what got us into this mess remember," she said smiling.